500 Errors on CB User Menu items

5 years 4 months ago #309232 by ernienet
500 Errors on CB User Menu items was created by ernienet
I have a User Menu module that contains an assortment of items for users to manage their profile - including the CB Edit Profile, CB View Profile menu items.

Prior to upgrading to Joomla 3.9.x, these menu items seemed to work properly - at least no customers reported an issue and I didn't encounter it.

But I've now encountered twice an issue where these two CB menus return an error. The Edit Profile started working (not sure what I did), but when I click to save or cancel, it goes to a 500 error page.

I've reset all the CB menu items, tried using the Joomla User versions of those menu items (which seemed to redirect to the CB equivalents successfully), but it does not seem to solve the issue.

www.mywebsite.com/view-my-profile - when I click "View My Profile" menu (Community Builder » userprofile; also tried Users » User Profile)
www.mywebsite.com/profile - when I click "Save" after profile edit
www.mywebsite.com/profile?reason=canceledit - when I click "Cancel" from profile edit

Is there some setting I've messed up on the website with the Joomla security features (which I've set up and enabled) or with how CB works with it?

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 4 months ago #309241 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic 500 Errors on CB User Menu items
Enable debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration and see if any errors output. Profile edit update and cancel will both send to profile view. So more than likely it's just profile view having problems.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 4 months ago #309319 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic 500 Errors on CB User Menu items
I pursued this with JoomlArt who now owns DT Register because it seemed that the error was originating from their code.

Oddly, two other websites started working - seemingly on their own - after a few days away from them. Must have been a cache thing, but I cleared both the browser cache and the Joomla cache with no luck.

This site (I'll call it Detroit so I don't get confused with all the other sites I manage), is still returning 500 errors. Even worse, Logout will not log me out! I even tried going to the Administrator and forcing the logout, but when I refresh, it's logged in again!

I don't know if the CB install is corrupt, or if I have some setting in the Joomla 3.9.1 update that is causing this - but it's certainly a security issue because every time I visit the site's home page, I'm already logged in!

And I have users on this website who need to edit their profile, but keep getting 500 errors - even if they click "Cancel" instead of "Save".

Does any of this trigger any ideas on what could possibly be wrong with the website that it would act like this? I have 27 other clients, but I've only upgraded 4-5 of them to Joomla 3.9.x. Although I ran into that 500 error issue on almost all of them so far, they were eventually fixed. Detroit isn't.

Thank you for any help you can provide - I'm baffled.

Ernie

5 years 4 months ago #309328 by krileon
Does enabling debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration expose any errors? If not are there any within your server error log? Have you tried unpublishing non-core CB plugins 1 by 1 within CB > Plugin Management to see if the issue goes away?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 4 months ago #309342 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic 500 Errors on CB User Menu items
Debug mode got me to DT Register. I've removed all the DT Register menu items from the User Menu, but that did not have any effect. I then checked all the Plugins with "User" or "Privacy" in them - I'm not sure what else to check in the Plugins.

I experimented with the user levels. When I set the user to Registered, everything works. When I set it to any other (Manager, Administrator, Super), the View Profile and Edit Profile -> "Save" and "Cancel" options return the 500 error. By the way - even though they return a 500 error, the changes ARE saved.

So I experimented with using the CB version of those menu options and the Joomla Core User menu options, but that had no effect, either.

There's pretty much nothing left that I can disable - at least that I can think of - which would cause any user level other than Registered to return the errors.

Does this help?

Thank you,
Ernie

5 years 4 months ago #309343 by krileon

even though they return a 500 error, the changes ARE saved.

Can you access your profile without attempting to update your profile? Since the save does go through fine it'd have to be something acting after CB user store. Are you using CB Auto Actions and acting on after user update trigger?

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn