HTTP 500 and Access Denied Messages

5 years 1 month ago #311288 by ernienet
HTTP 500 and Access Denied Messages was created by ernienet
I have an ongoing problem with some websites that is returning HTTP 500 errors.

I get the HTTP 500 when I click on View Profile.
Edit Profile works, but I can neither Update or Cancel - I get the HTTP 500 error for both... sometimes Update also returns "Error: Access Denied", which I see from another post is NOT a CB error message.

Some testing revealed that this is not an issue for Registered users - only for user levels (including Super Users).

I thought Admin Tools might be causing it because after testing 2-3 times, my IP is blacklisted and I can't access the site without going through the procedure to disable Admin Tools. Disabling Admin Tools seems to have no effect on this behavior, so I've eliminated that as a potential cause.

What seems to be the most common reason for HTTP 500 errors on View Profile or trying to Update or Cancel profile editing for user levels other than Registered? Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #311307 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic HTTP 500 and Access Denied Messages

What seems to be the most common reason for HTTP 500 errors on View Profile or trying to Update or Cancel profile editing for user levels other than Registered? Do you have any suggestions?

It's a server error so something server side is failing. Check your servers error log to see if there's anything around the time you're seeing the error. You can also try enabling debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration then retrying to see if any errors output. As always though be sure everything installed is completely up to date to rule out bugs that could already be fixed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 2 weeks ago #311683 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic HTTP 500 and Access Denied Messages
It seems that DT Register's CB Plug-in is the problem as far as the HTTP 500 errors are concerned. It seems I encountered this once before, but I guess it had been so long that I had forgotten.

As for Access Denied, I'm pretty sure that's an Admin Tools issue. With DT Register, I have to add two directories to "Allow direct access to these files" in the .htaccess maker in Admin Tools. Could that be the issue here? If it is, what directories in CB would need to be added to the .htaccess file?

If anything comes to mind, let me know and I'll try it out.

Thank you,
Ernie

5 years 2 weeks ago #311699 by krileon

As for Access Denied, I'm pretty sure that's an Admin Tools issue. With DT Register, I have to add two directories to "Allow direct access to these files" in the .htaccess maker in Admin Tools. Could that be the issue here? If it is, what directories in CB would need to be added to the .htaccess file?

Only folders that CB might directly access are /images and /cache I believe.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 1 week ago #311792 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic HTTP 500 and Access Denied Messages
I added the images and cache folders to the list, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

The Access Denied message is very common in several of my client websites (I have 28 active client sites). Today's report is from a different client than my original email.

I just can't figure it out - not all of them have Admin Tools installed, not all of them are using the DT Register plugin - it just seems to be as random as it can be.

The Chrome inspector has the following:

Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received. saveuseredit:1

Does that mean anything to you?

Thanks,
Ernie

5 years 1 week ago #311799 by krileon
Sounds like a possible problem with the host it self then. Review server error logs and see if there's any errors logged around the time you're seeing a 500 error. Could be your host is blocking something with mod_security and it's just a false positive issue.

Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received. saveuseredit:1

Does that mean anything to you?

Nope, that's a browser extension causing that.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn