[SOLVED] Can't get CSV import users to work

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #312080 by haasdijk
Yesterday I tried to import a limited number of users via CSV with CB's new import functionality.

I exported a few users to get the format. In this file I kept the first row and placed the data of the new users underneath. The import failed. The error message I received indicated that I had to add a username. However, this was in the file. I moved it to the first column but again the import was refused.
After trying a few times I gave up and used cbjuice again.

However, it continues to bother me. I must have done something wrong, but what? Does anyone have any idea?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #312082 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Can't get CSV import users to work
The import tells you what row failed to import if a specific row is what caused it to fail. It should say something like "Cannot import row ROW_ID because: ERROR_MESSAGE". Review what row failed then be sure that row has a username. If it has a username does it contain any possible invalid characters? Have retested import and am not having any issues importing new users.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 11 months ago #312086 by haasdijk
Replied by haasdijk on topic Can't get CSV import users to work
Hi Kyle,
All rows fail to import. Thats whats strange here. I checked the usernames for invalid characters and minimum length. In what is the new import function different from CBJuice. Maybe that'll give us a clue
Regards,
Peter

4 years 11 months ago #312090 by krileon
Our import has nothing to do with CB Juice. I've no clue how CB Juice is designed. The way CBs works is it maps the data to the database objects and performs a standard backend user store for that object. It's more or less no different than saving them in CB > User Management directly. The first row of the CSV file is the field names and it's vital it exists and is correct. If it thinks no username exists it's possible you've tampered with the first row and have broke the mapping. The easiest way to import is to export a row then alter the users row while leaving the first row alone entirely.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 11 months ago #312092 by haasdijk
Replied by haasdijk on topic Can't get CSV import users to work
But that's exactly what i did. I did an export, kept the first row and added new user data.
The funny thing is, CB recognises it when i try to import an existing user. That results in an error message saying user allready exists. But when i do the same with a new user, including a username, it doesn't see that there is a username in the username column.

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #312094 by krileon
I've no idea then. Could be an encoding problem. If using LibreOffice to open the CSV your settings should be as follows.

Character set: Unicode (UTF-8)
From row: 1
Separator Options: Separated by: Comma (uncheck all others)
Text delimiter: "
Other Options: Quoted field as text (uncheck all others)

You may want to try running User Synchronization within CB > Tools as your current user maybe missing in CB and is why it could be having a hard time constructing empty user object for import validation.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn