[#7672] backend update banner not very functional for build releases

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #313579 by mikerotec
OK, it's the 21st century, right? :huh:

When I get this update notice inside my admin user control panel:

Why does the learn more link take me to the front page of the website ??? :S

I mean - I ALREADY HAVE THE SOFTWARE INSTALLED... probably I don't need a general introduction to the software, OK?

The "Learn More" link in this case would have been MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE if it had linked to

forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb/issues?query_id=148

Instead!!

I mean, "21st-Century", and all that? :woohoo:

PS: I won't even mention that the "Update Now" link doesn't actually update anything, but rather downloads a package file... (Doh!):blink:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #313582 by krileon
The update checker doesn't have a clue the forge even exists. There's no way for it to know where to send you on forge. Once CB Package Builder has been improved to support checking the forge for change logs it should be possible. We also always do a front page article for stable releases where that button is completely relevant.

PS: I won't even mention that the "Update Now" link doesn't actually update anything, but rather downloads a package file... (Doh!)

Joomla updater can't handle metadata version checks so Joomla can't version check or download a build release. It'll work fine for stable releases where it will send you to Joomla extension manager to update. For build releases it should just download the CB package directly where you'll need to manually install it, which works fine in my tests. This was implemented before Install from Web existed in CB though so now I suppose it could just send you there.

Have added a feature ticket to improve the update banner.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7672

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn