Cloud storage for CB or Joomla

4 years 5 days ago #317263 by activha
Cloud storage for CB or Joomla was created by activha
Hello

Do you know if it's possible to use cloud storage for CB or joomla. IE Amazon S3 buckets to store all images, videos and docs that will be uploaded to gallery ?

I was trying to find something on the net to sync or replace the images folder with a S3 bucket but no luck so far, and there seems to be nothing in joomla forums neither

Any idea ?
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 4 days ago #317266 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Cloud storage for CB or Joomla
CB doesn't support cloud storage. It's planned once we've written a generalized library for handling storage so all file storage behavior could be customized to use different file handlers (e.g. could have images stored on 1 server and documents on another). No idea when this will be implemented though, sorry. Likely won't be until later this year when we start pushing in Symfony components.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 4 days ago #317268 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Cloud storage for CB or Joomla
Do you know if joomla will implement it ? there were some news a few years ago about it being implemented in the framework but nothing more...

4 years 4 days ago #317275 by krileon
I've no idea if Joomla plans on implementing external storage. You should be able to use an extension at least for Joomla media management to be through Amazon S3. Have you checked out the below?

extensions.joomla.org/extension/ja-amazon-s3/
extensions.joomla.org/tags/cloud-storage/

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 4 days ago #317279 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Cloud storage for CB or Joomla
yes but it seems that they simply updates the location path of uploaded files on the server, which is roughly like using a CDN which we already have.

What I was searching is something like what is used by JCE editor S3 plugin which uses a default images folder located at S3. That way seems interesting as the server size is kept low and we can duplicate instances in case of heavy loads without sync docs and images.

That would be an interesting thing to do for all apps, there were this magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue-oct-2013/item/1552-cloud-storage-report and this github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/1925 but it has not been followed.

Interested ?

4 years 4 days ago #317282 by krileon
We've no interest in making general Joomla solutions. We want to distance our self from Joomla and not become more entangled in it. The idea is to eventually be able to function standalone and in other CMS platforms so market volatility doesn't hurt us so drastically (our success is reliant on Joomla and Joomla 4 taking nearly a year longer than expected has been detrimental). So we'll be implementing our own solution that can be utilized by all our products.

We won't be implementing a simple CDN solution. We'll be implementing full storage solution so media is stored externally. So for example you could have CB Gallery media stored on scale-able S3 servers. We want to do this as a generalized library that all of our products can use. Out of the box will likely just support local and S3 storage. I again have no idea when this will be implemented though. We've a lot on our plate and the current state of the world has set us back significantly. With that said I suppose once this is implemented you could call our API from 3rd party extensions if you wanted.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn