Username login rejected - but email address login OK???

4 years 2 days ago #317327 by mikerotec
NEW: happens with a user that happens to have a space in their username

"martin keane"

I tried removing the space, but no fix with username "martinkeane"

also no fix with "mkeane"

login with user's email address is FINE.

Any ideas? I have tested OTHER users and they all can log in fine with usernames

Your version is 2.4.4+build.2020.03.19.14.05.32.e6a0c6b92
Latest version 2.4.4+build.2020.03.19.14.05.32.e6a0c6b92

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 2 days ago - 4 years 2 days ago #317329 by mikerotec
EDIT: weird, they are now using a username that's a slight variation of their email (xxx@yy.zz), and seems its working fine. They were able to edit it themselves ( after logging in with their email...) - whereas I was not able to to get a login working after I had updated their username via the back end - via /administrator/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=edit , &etc (name changes as shown above...)

4 years 1 day ago #317338 by krileon
No idea what could cause that. I'm having no issues with login behavior and the authentication process hasn't been touched in any way for a very long time. What do you have login method set to within CB > Configuration > General? If you're allowing authentication plugins then you could have a Joomla authentication plugin that's blocking the login or if you've an auto action in CB Auto Actions acting on a login trigger incorrectly.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 1 day ago #317340 by mikerotec
Login method is "Username or email".

for plugins, we only have

Authentication - Joomla
Authentication - Cookies

No CB Auto Actions.

As far as I can tell, it is ONLY THIS ONE USER that's ever had this problem.
Comparing it to other users in the database, I saw that one field typically set to "NULL" (alias) is sitting empty instead.
Other than that, nothing jumps out at me...

4 years 1 day ago #317341 by krileon
What do you mean they can't login exactly? What error are they seeing when attempting to login? If you've CB AntiSpam installed maybe you've some of the auto blocking features enabled and they're being blocked by it? If installed review the login features under CB AntiSpam > Parameters > Login.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 1 day ago #317342 by mikerotec
The error was "invalid username or password" when I tried it with renamed usernames from the backend.
Never any error when logging in with the user's email address instead of the username.

The new username ( which now works fine as a username) that the user chose after logging in with his email is 'similar to his email address but not his email address'. (Example: if his email was spammer412@spam.com - his new fully functional username is spam412@spam.com)

None of the CB AntiSpam auto-blocks are enabled...

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn