Saving Member searches / filters and user-email with new entries

3 years 6 months ago #320326 by ericmuc
Hi,
Can I achieve with CB following?
- saving the filter in searches of members by users
- email with new entries in that saved filters to the user?
Can I use auto actions and extra fields for this or a third party plugin?
Thanks, best regards
Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #320328 by krileon
You want to search a userlist and email the users who are now displayed on the userlist that weren't last time? I don't see a reasonable way to do that. The users past page 1 aren't loaded in. The paging is based off a total count. So what you're wanting wouldn't even be possible with current userlist behavior.

As for saving a pre-filtered userlist you should be able to use standard browser bookmarks for that after performing a search as long as there isn't too many fields in the search form preventing the GET redirect usage from working as it has a URL length limit.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #320333 by ericmuc

krileon wrote: You want to search a userlist and email the users who are now displayed on the userlist that weren't last time? I don't see a reasonable way to do that. The users past page 1 aren't loaded in. The paging is based off a total count. So what you're wanting wouldn't even be possible with current userlist behavior.

Question: could here an auto action be created, which only sends 1) new users (every day / every week) with 2) certain field content? Could the user create in his profile such email-function by editing a check-field (yes/no) and probably field groups for filtering?

As for saving a pre-filtered userlist you should be able to use standard browser bookmarks for that after performing a search as long as there isn't too many fields in the search form preventing the GET redirect usage from working as it has a URL length limit.

To save a user filter would be good to have. In my eyes unfortunately this is a further point where I see that CB is missing some up to date functions. Nevertheless the positive list is still great enough to work with CB, but the negative list hurts.

3 years 6 months ago #320337 by krileon

Question: could here an auto action be created, which only sends 1) new users (every day / every week) with 2) certain field content? Could the user create in his profile such email-function by editing a check-field (yes/no) and probably field groups for filtering?

Yes, that's the purpose of the new Batching feature in CB Auto Actions. See the below blog post for details.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18891-cb-auto-actions-8-1-0

It basically lets you filter a set of users and run them through auto actions. It supports full batch processing capabilities so it can safely run through thousands of users in batches of say 50 users until it's complete.

To save a user filter would be good to have. In my eyes unfortunately this is a further point where I see that CB is missing some up to date functions. Nevertheless the positive list is still great enough to work with CB, but the negative list hurts.

I don't see a reason to do on-site saving of searched userlists. Browser bookmarks handle this quite well. Simply search and bookmark the resulting URL, which should be something like the below.

demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/community-builder/user-lists/member-list?firstname=demo

The only reason for it to not turn into a GET URL that can be bookmarked is if there are too many fields on the userlist causing the URL to be too long.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 6 months ago #320348 by ericmuc
Thanks for the quick answer.
For the auto actions I will take a closer look.

For the saved searches: I have here another position. Please see that the users are using the website not only with one browser, but with a desktop pc and tablet or smartphone. Therefore in my view it would be a better gui, if the user could save his searches in his profile.

3 years 6 months ago #320358 by krileon

For the saved searches: I have here another position. Please see that the users are using the website not only with one browser, but with a desktop pc and tablet or smartphone. Therefore in my view it would be a better gui, if the user could save his searches in his profile.

It doesn't matter what the device is as they all will be using a browser and be able to bookmark. I understand what you're asking, but this can be said about so many things in CB that you just end up replicating browser bookmarking on your website. It becomes an aggressive feature reaching into a lot of things for an extremely niche case. It just doesn't make sense on the whole to implement something like that for CB, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn