Family Plan (Restrict by address)

3 years 2 months ago #322498 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Family Plan (Restrict by address)
I just thought of another way to look at restricting access. Originally I was looking at a way to have the CBSubs look at the address fields to make sure the sharing was someone in the same household, but that would mean having to look at the street number field, and street name field, possibly postal code too. Then I realized that looking at the IP address might be a better option.

Would looking at the IP address open up another way to validate the sharing or would I approaching it the same way as you suggested earlier?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #322500 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Family Plan (Restrict by address)
IP Address wouldn't be very reliable. For example if one registers using their phone and its mobile wifi they'd have a different IP Address. Address check should work fine for this, but is prone to a lot of user error if the addresses don't match example. It is likely going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth trying to restrict this to households. Giants like Netflix have attempted that in the past as well and failed. It's just too easy to circumvent to be worth investing so much development time into it and ultimately it causes UX problems for legitimate users.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 2 months ago #322503 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Family Plan (Restrict by address)
I agree with you. The site I have in mind has few members and I think I may enable the admin approval option and then manually check the addresses to make sure before approving.

Appreciate the help and advice!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn