You do not have permission to email/message this user

3 years 2 weeks ago #323727 by AlexRag

CB Privacy protects privacy messaging with the Profile Privacy field and the PM field. So both of those privacy controls are checked. So for example if a user has no permission to view that persons profile they can't PM them. The email form is protected by checking the Profile Privacy field as well, but instead of the PM field it will check the Email field.

When you mentioned "checked" where would I be seeing this? Or is it something the user chooses?

The privacy plug in pretty robust and full of configuration options. If there's a tutorial video somewhere, I'd love to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 1 week ago #323738 by krileon
Edit the PM and Email fields then under Integrations > CB Privacy see if you enabled privacy controls for them. If you did edit your profile and adjust the privacy controls of those fields. If there are no privacy controls enabled for those fields then it's probably the Profile Privacy field since that protects the entire profile.

The privacy plug in pretty robust and full of configuration options. If there's a tutorial video somewhere, I'd love to see it.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0puRITgC7PyiMVKzL-3WKX9Z1iNIyah

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 1 week ago #323751 by AlexRag
Thanks for link. It was helpful, although the plugin has gotten a lot more configurable since the video was done. Wondering if an updated one will be planned?

In my case, it looks like I had privacy settings at the tab level (Contact Info tab). I essentially wanted the user to decide to set their own privacy settings. If a user makes their contact info private, is it safe to assume that email or pms communication would then trigger the same "you do not have permission to message this user" error message?

Also, from what I learned in the video, am I correct in my understanding that the "normal CB settings" option is essentially the same as Privacy setting is OFF?

Thanks!
Attachments:

3 years 1 week ago #323761 by krileon

Wondering if an updated one will be planned?

Yes, we've plans to try and update the videos after Joomla 4 release.

In my case, it looks like I had privacy settings at the tab level (Contact Info tab). I essentially wanted the user to decide to set their own privacy settings. If a user makes their contact info private, is it safe to assume that email or pms communication would then trigger the same "you do not have permission to message this user" error message?

If those fields are under that tab, yes.

Also, from what I learned in the video, am I correct in my understanding that the "normal CB settings" option is essentially the same as Privacy setting is OFF?

Yes.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #323779 by AlexRag

If those fields are under that tab, yes.

Ok, so to confirm,

1) If the email address field is set to private, users cannot email each other, even if the Email Handling in the CB configuration is set to display?
2) If so, this would explain that when the "Contact Info" tab is set to private stops the email sending from working.
3) Since the Private Messaging feature has a field item called "pm" is also in the Contact Info tab set to private also affects its access.
4) I take it tab level privacy setting supercede any field level privacy settings?

So, in order to both have the Contact Info Tab be private and still allow emailing and private messaging to work, means moving the "email address" field and "pm" in another tab. Does this make sense?

In the end I will likely not enable email sending so in my case, I probably only need to move the pm field in another tab, which brings up another question. Can tabs be hidden to the user and just used as a place to put fields not meant to be accessed? (FYI: I moved the "pm" field to the Statistics Tab to try out)

3 years 1 week ago #323788 by krileon

1) If the email address field is set to private, users cannot email each other, even if the Email Handling in the CB configuration is set to display?
2) If so, this would explain that when the "Contact Info" tab is set to private stops the email sending from working.
3) Since the Private Messaging feature has a field item called "pm" is also in the Contact Info tab set to private also affects its access.
4) I take it tab level privacy setting supercede any field level privacy settings?

All correct. Field privacy would work as follows.

1. Check Profile Privacy
2. Check Tab Privacy
3. Check Field Privacy

That's the order of the privacy checks for fields.

So, in order to both have the Contact Info Tab be private and still allow emailing and private messaging to work, means moving the "email address" field and "pm" in another tab. Does this make sense?

That would work, yes.

In the end I will likely not enable email sending so in my case, I probably only need to move the pm field in another tab, which brings up another question. Can tabs be hidden to the user and just used as a place to put fields not meant to be accessed? (FYI: I moved the "pm" field to the Statistics Tab to try out)

Yes, create a new tab in CB > Tab Management and place it in the not shown on profile tab position. Next move your PM field to it.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn