Find user with level 1-3, in spite of using level 4 by user?

3 years 1 week ago #323902 by ericmuc
Hi,
I want use a hierarchical structure (all in a data base table) and have 4 levels. In level 4 are the important names which should be stored in the profile. Level 1-3 are only for structural purpose and for the search.

Normally I could create 4 single or multi-select drop down fields whith depending levels as I did this in country/cities already.

My problem is, that this is too complicate for the user, to choose 4 levels until he can store the level 4 names.

My idea is now:

The user shall have the possibility to choose level 4 names directly (about 2400 different names available) and store them in his profile.

But other users shall search him also with level 1-3 entries in a userlist, so that they have the possibility to find users by using level 1-3 fields to find a bigger or smaller subset of users.

So is it possible to set level 1-3 values (connected in the data base with level 4) automatically in the user profile even if the user only choose level 4 entry?

Thanks, best regards
Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 6 days ago #323909 by krileon
I've no idea what level 1-4 fields means here. Are they just sets of fields in a field group?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 6 days ago #323920 by ericmuc
Hi,
I have a hierarchy list as follows:
1. xxxx
1.1 xxxxx
1.1.1 xxxxx
1.1.1.1 xxxxxxx

How I can implement this in CB? My idea is:
1. as single-select drop down
1.1 as single-select drop down
1.1.1 as single-select drop down
1.1.1.1 as single-select drop down

They all should be dependend on the one field before, so for example:
values of 1.1 as single-select drop down depends on 1. as single-select drop down (like country/city)

My question is:
I think that is too complicate for the user, the user shall have the possibility to save only the 4. level in his profile (there are about 2300 values to choose with an autocomplete function, that should be possible).

But on the other hand in the search: that would be difficult to find the one out of 2300 if the search is only based on the level 4 field.

Here it would be good to have the search field with level 1 (all users, who has content in level 4), and in level 2 and 3 users are shown in the userlist, which has choosed keywords in lvele 4, which are under the hierarchical keywords of level 2 or 3.

So at the moment I have no good idea how to make this in the best way. Probably with autoaction. And probably it would be good to have multi-select drop down fields working with this.

So I don't ask for a code development but for hints or thinking directions. If you have a code sample, well, that would be nice. So please check how you can assist here which is covered by this forum purpose.

Thanks, best regards
Eric

3 years 6 days ago #323926 by krileon
Sorry, I've no idea. Your usage makes no sense to me and likely isn't to make any sense to your users. If it's something like the following

Country
State
City

Then just display all 3 on your userlist. Users can then search 1 of the 3 or all 3.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 6 days ago #323936 by ericmuc
Hi,
Thanks for the message.

Ok, to make my question simple:

1) the user choose the city without the country and state before
2) CB set the corresponding state of the choosen city automatically in the field state
3) CB set the corresponding country of the choosen city automatically in the field country

How can I do this in CB? I think, autoaction could do this, do you have a sample for this?

In my case I have two users: unexperienced and experienced. I want let the unexperienced user only to choose the "city". But the experienced user shall have the possibility to search for "country" and "state". And in my example "country" and "state", so here called level 1 and 2, is not important for the unexperienced user.

Thanks, best regards
Eric

3 years 6 days ago #323938 by krileon
I suggest chaining the 3 fields together using CB Query Field features (either autocomplete or query selects) then use CB Conditional to show/hide the next fields. So for example once they select Country have State display and update using CB Core Fields Ajax and its Update On feature. This way they only see 1 input until they continue filling out the fields. Searching would work the same way.

If using select fields I absolutely suggest doing it this way as presenting a user with a dropdown of 2,000 something options is terrible UX. If using autocomplete then don't filter based off previous selection at all and just show all 3 fields as the filtering is just a part of the autocomplete.

My suggests are as follows depending on what field types you are using.

Query Selects (use conditions with update on)
1. Country
2. State (displays if country has a value, update on of country)
3. City (displays if state has a value, update on of state)

Query Autocomplete (no conditions and no update on)
1. Country (searches for state by name or isocode)
2. State (searches for state by name or isocode, filters by country if country is provided)
3. City (searches for city by name, filters by country if state is provided)

The autocomplete solution sounds like what you'd use, but it's not going to fill in Country if you only select State. For it to do that you will have to entirely code that yourself. CB Auto Actions can handle a majority of the behavior, but you'll have to handle writing the code to lookup Country based of selected State then saving that to the user. I don't recommend this approach.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn