Impact on high volume of email notifications

2 years 10 months ago #325124 by AlexRag
I am just trying to figure out the best route to take when a CB/CBSubs powered site grows enough that Private messages increase in volume.

There would be an increase in email notifications and I am unsure if PHP Mail can handle it over other options. There is also the concern of ISP flagging the domain sending high volumes of emails as spam.

The other area is the sheer volume of messages that are logged and stored in the site. Is there anything to be concerned about or I should plan in terms of scaling up.

What volumes, should I be looking at before any of this is of major concern.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #325138 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Impact on high volume of email notifications
All of our database queries are bench marked to over a million database rows. This means the database queries are designed for extremely large amounts of data. You shouldn't have anything to really worry about in this regard and with CB 3.x we'll be making further optimizations to all our database tables. You also have the option of making further adjustments to the database (e.g. additional table indexes) in the future if you need some additional optimizations.

As for emails it really shouldn't ever be a problem. Email performance is only really an issue when you need to send an email to a massive amount of recipients (e.g. a newsletter) and queue through them. Regardless you can offload emails to a separate SMTP mail server if you're concerned about it slowing down the main server. With CB 3.x we'll be reviewing a way to bundle emails/notifications into digests so non-important emails could be delayed for example and only sent once daily. Not sure on the details for that yet, but that's the idea at least.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 10 months ago #325150 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Impact on high volume of email notifications
Excellent. This is all comforting news, putting my mind at ease!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn