Preparing to setup CB Connect

2 years 10 months ago #325128 by AlexRag
Preparing to setup CB Connect was created by AlexRag
I am looking to set up CBConnects for my next phase of setup/testing. By the way I am also using CBSubs with one free and 3 paid plans. Below is a summary of what I think I need to do, and some questions along the way. if it could be confirmed or corrected, I’d appreciate it.

FOR NEW USERS
I read in other posts I need to select Pre-fill mode since I am using CBSubs, which will then pull in whatever is allowed by, for example, Facebook and Google (such as name and email address).

I gather then, the user just needs to complete the rest of the registration form (address, phone, etc). Then I think the rest of the registration process behaves as it would normally.

FOR EXISTING USERS
They would first need to login and in their profile look for the “Link with” buttons/links. Once that happens and they are logged in the social logins will connect with that profile.

I believe I also need to set the Resynchronize option to Enabled.

1. Which option should I select and are there a potential permission limits to be concerned with eg. Enabled, (Full Profile) vs. (Mapped Fields). I am really only concerned with name and email. The whole purpose is just to make it easier for users to login.

2. I am correct in understanding the purpose of Resynchronize is that is matches up fields so the website user account is the same as what they have in the social account?

3. Does the Resynchronize only happen when they first link (link tab) and every time they login (login tab)?

4. If so, and I have disabled editing the first and last name on the site, will it cause sync issues?

5. Should I also be enabling the Resynchronize in the Login tab as well?

APPLICATIONS TAB
6. Should leave the extra “Permissions” blank as the plugin already asked the the required ones. Any more could result in errors

REGISTRATIONS TAB
7. For usergoups, should I leave this empty since CBSubs is handling usergroup assignments within each plan?

9. What should I put for Approval? I am guessing setting it to no means no other approval is required and I just let CBSubs do it thing?

10. For Confirmation, Avatar Approval, Canvas Approval, I gather its safest to just leave it as Default?

11. I am uncertain whether I need the username format to be adjusted. In my case, I am likely only going to enable Facebook, Google and LinkedIn, none of which have usernames (I don’t think).

12. For Fields is this the mapping function to connect social into with the user info? Do I need to fill this out if I am only really interested in the full name and email?

13. I am a little hesitant to map avatar and canvas images since the aspect ratios, and other setting differ. I am not terribly concerned it these do no get pulled in/synced.

14. Is there any documentation/tutorials on the App set up for the social accounts? I know each platform has there own way of setting up social login apps.

15. Anything else I need to aware of?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #325139 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Preparing to setup CB Connect

1. Which option should I select and are there a potential permission limits to be concerned with eg. Enabled, (Full Profile) vs. (Mapped Fields). I am really only concerned with name and email. The whole purpose is just to make it easier for users to login.

If the purpose is to make it easier to login then don't resynchronize at all.

2. I am correct in understanding the purpose of Resynchronize is that is matches up fields so the website user account is the same as what they have in the social account?

It forces the profile data from whatever social platform they logged in from to replace their existing data.

3. Does the Resynchronize only happen when they first link (link tab) and every time they login (login tab)?

There's separate parameters for both so it can happen on both, either/or, or neither.

4. If so, and I have disabled editing the first and last name on the site, will it cause sync issues?

It will synchronize first and last name. It does not care about field access permissions when synchronizing data.

5. Should I also be enabling the Resynchronize in the Login tab as well?

I don't recommend enabling resynchronizing at all for your usage.

6. Should leave the extra “Permissions” blank as the plugin already asked the the required ones. Any more could result in errors

Yes, you should only request the minimum permissions needed and by default it requests what it needs for basic profile data.

7. For usergoups, should I leave this empty since CBSubs is handling usergroup assignments within each plan?

Yes.

9. What should I put for Approval? I am guessing setting it to no means no other approval is required and I just let CBSubs do it thing?

The point of CB Connect is they have been verified already by the other social platforms so yes leave approval to no so it skips requiring approval.

10. For Confirmation, Avatar Approval, Canvas Approval, I gather its safest to just leave it as Default?

Yes.

11. I am uncertain whether I need the username format to be adjusted. In my case, I am likely only going to enable Facebook, Google and LinkedIn, none of which have usernames (I don’t think).

A user still needs a username. If it's a new registration it will generate one based off the data available. Usually based off their name if no username like data is available.

12. For Fields is this the mapping function to connect social into with the user info? Do I need to fill this out if I am only really interested in the full name and email?

Do not map core fields like name, email, avatar, or canvas. Those are already handled if that data is available. Field Mapping is for mapping other non-core data like date of birth, gender, etc..

13. I am a little hesitant to map avatar and canvas images since the aspect ratios, and other setting differ. I am not terribly concerned it these do no get pulled in/synced.

Do not map avatar or canvas. They are core fields already handled by CB Connect.

14. Is there any documentation/tutorials on the App set up for the social accounts? I know each platform has there own way of setting up social login apps.

Only for a few of the providers, which you can find below.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/6-news-and-publicity/229505-configuring-cb-connect-7-x

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 10 months ago #325151 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Preparing to setup CB Connect
This is great! Thank you.

Just to clarify, I don't need resynchronise, even if the user registering for the first time?

Overall it seems pretty straightforward. I just need to make sure the main item "Pre-Fill" is selected to work with CBSubs. Everythng else appears can just be left at default or blank. :)

Side question: I will be testing on a url that is not the final location. If I create the apps and input the current callback url, which would be different when I go live - Will I need to create new apps or can I just change the callback info afterwards in the app setup?

2 years 10 months ago #325152 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Preparing to setup CB Connect

Just to clarify, I don't need resynchronise, even if the user registering for the first time?

Correct.

Side question: I will be testing on a url that is not the final location. If I create the apps and input the current callback url, which would be different when I go live - Will I need to create new apps or can I just change the callback info afterwards in the app setup?

Just change the URL in your application whenever needed. Some providers allow you to supply multiple URLs to make it even easier.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 10 months ago #325155 by AlexRag
Fantastic! Thank you!

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #325164 by AlexRag
Okay, I've gone through the steps with Facebook and seeing this message when I try to have a user link with Facebook:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am testing with my own FB credentials, but I also created the app under my FB account - is this the possible reason for the error or should I be troubleshooting elsewhere? I did use FB test user so I am doubting this is the problem

By the way, I put the "Valid OAuth Redirect URIs", "Deauthorize Callback URL" and "Redirect URI to Check" to be the same as in the CB Connect > Parameters > Facebook > Application section.

UPDATE: I am seeing the same error message with Google Sign in. Wondering if its an issue with the test location url. I may have to try all this once the site is ats its proper domain.

UPDATE#2: I managed to be able to test out Facebook and Google on a live site and it seems to be working okay. The only worry I have is whether these apps limit whether sites need to be on primary domains, vs a subdomain? The latest test I tried was on a primary domain.
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn