[SOLVED] Translate field

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #327221 by galanopd
[SOLVED] Translate field was created by galanopd
Default language (English)
I can override to change something, no problem

Questions
  1. Can the default language change to el-GR or not?
  2. When I create a new field, should it be in English and then to translate in Greek or in Greek and then to translate in English?
  3. Either one or the other (question 2), where should I add the translation? (it doesn't appear in overrides).

Thank you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #327227 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Translate field

Can the default language change to el-GR or not?

CBs default loaded language is entirely based off what Joomla's default language is. You'll need an el-GR language plugin for both CB and Joomla then mark it as default in Joomla.

When I create a new field, should it be in English and then to translate in Greek or in Greek and then to translate in English?

Entirely up to you. It's best to not use language specific strings at all, but to use language keys. Example as follows

Field
Title: This is my field
Override
Key: This is my field
String: This is my field TRANSLATED!

vs

Field
Title: MY_FIELD_1
Override
Key: MY_FIELD_1
String: This is my field TRANSLATED!

If using language key approach you'll need to be sure each of your installed CB language plugins has an override for that key.

Either one or the other (question 2), where should I add the translation? (it doesn't appear in overrides).

Add it manually to CBs language overrides. You don't have to use language strings found with the language finder. See the below if unsure how to use CBs language overrides feature.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18701-language-overrides-have-arrived

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 4 months ago #327236 by galanopd
Replied by galanopd on topic Translate field
Ok, understood and already fixed!

Turned all newly added fields to keys, then added override to Default (English) and then searched in el-GR override and added the greek translation. It works fine.

CBs default loaded language is entirely based off what Joomla's default language is. You'll need an el-GR language plugin for both CB and Joomla then mark it as default in Joomla.

The default language in Joomla is el-GR and if I understood correctly what you have typed it should show CB->Plugins->Default language (Greek) but it shows CB->Plugins->Default language (English).

Of course I also have CB->Plugins->el-GR (but it doesn't show default)

I suppose I have missed that point...

2 years 4 months ago #327250 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Translate field

The default language in Joomla is el-GR and if I understood correctly what you have typed it should show CB->Plugins->Default language (Greek) but it shows CB->Plugins->Default language (English).

The default language in CB is just a plugin name. It's not going to rename your other language plugin and say it's default. CB doesn't determine what language is loaded. Joomla does.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: galanopd

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #327278 by galanopd
Replied by galanopd on topic Translate field
Understood, thanks.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn