Email Auto Action language string substitution sometimes not working

1 year 11 months ago #329257 by boyjahq
We have a multi language auto action that sends notification to a user when someone makes a connection request on their profile. It works properly 99.99% of the time, but every once in a while the email is sent with the subject and the email message only showing the language string and not the substitution. Can you give us an idea of where to look to try to prevent this? All of our users have the preferred language parameter set on their profile from the time of registration. We know that the language substitutions are set correctly as this auto action works almost all of the time.

Email auto action
Triggers = onAfterAddConnection

Action:
Subject = CONNECTIONREQUESTED_SUB
Body = CONNECTIONREQUESTED_MSG

Output = Return

Parameters:
Reload User = No
Translate = Yes
Substitutions = Yes
Format Functions = Yes
Content Plugins = Yes

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 11 months ago #329260 by krileon
Ensure all your installed CB language plugins have that string translated. Including the "Default Language" language plugin. Language overrides are not inherited so if any are missing from a language plugin they just won't translate. That would be the only reason I can think of for the translation to fail.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

1 year 11 months ago #329267 by boyjahq
Yes, for your reference, all strings are in all of the overrides. I checked again but we know that is the case since it works most of the time. I understand that the process of filling in all of the various substitutions is a complex and tricky process. And I understand that perhaps it could simply be an issue of an overworked server that can't handle all of that at any given time. Particularly with language strings as the overrides file is very large. Please be aware of this occasional and mysterious issue.

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #329268 by krileon
Strange, I don't really have an explanation for this. Are you sending bulk emails? I notice you are using onAfterAddConnection, but is it just sending to the profile owner then (what is To set to if not empty)? It's possible the language swapping for emails is struggling if it's switching back and forth between languages.

In CB 3.x I hope to move us to Symfony Translation component so things will get modern pretty quick once that happens and should help clear up some possible glitches like that.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 11 months ago #329269 by boyjahq
For reference, these are not bulk emails. This particular email is generated to send notification to a single user when someone makes a connection request on their profile. And yes, there may be some language swapping going on, since the user requesting the connection may have language parameter en-gb and the generated email is going to a user that has language parameter ja-jp (or the opposite).

For the auto action
Global: User = Manual and User Variable = Variable 2
Action: To = [var2]

Perhaps the new translation system in CB 3 will help!

1 year 11 months ago #329275 by krileon
It's still strange it wouldn't translate at all given the language string exists in all your language plugins. Worst case it'd fall back to the default language plugin and still get translated. Not really sure what I can do about this as it's basically impossible to investigate something that sometimes happens and is entirely random. I'd need a way to reliably cause this. Is there anything common about the emails failing? Specific users? Specific times?

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn