Spam Registration, Help Needed!

10 years 3 weeks ago #242116 by steinsandy
Spam Registration, Help Needed! was created by steinsandy
Hi guys, I have, what I assume is a bot, spam registering. I have the configurations set to check for usernames and emails and have required fields that are currently being ignored by the bot.

I am getting an average of 6 new users per minute! Please tell me how I can find out the ip and block it or what else I can do to stop this nonsense.

Right now I have new registrations turned off but this is obviously a bad solution that cannot be used for long.

Thank you,

Cassandra

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cassandra Patton
Founder of Campaign Promotions
Promoting Experts in the Virtual Marketplace
campaign-promotions.com

Joomla 2.5.18 & 3.2.2 * CB 1.9.1 * CB Subs 2.0.0 * PHP 5.3.28 * Opera, Firefox, IE & Chrome (all most current versions) * Hosted by Host Gator

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 3 weeks ago #242121 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Spam Registration, Help Needed!

steinsandy wrote: Hi guys, I have, what I assume is a bot, spam registering. I have the configurations set to check for usernames and emails and have required fields that are currently being ignored by the bot.

I am getting an average of 6 new users per minute! Please tell me how I can find out the ip and block it or what else I can do to stop this nonsense.

Right now I have new registrations turned off but this is obviously a bad solution that cannot be used for long.

Thank you,

Cassandra

Do you have Joomla registration turned off?

DO you have CB Captcha support?
The following user(s) said Thank You: steinsandy

10 years 3 weeks ago #242153 by steinsandy
Replied by steinsandy on topic Spam Registration, Help Needed!
Joomla registration is turned off.
CB Captcha is now turned on, it wasn't enabled before. Hopefully that resolves the spam problem but why were the required fields ignored?

Cassandra Patton
campaign-promotions.com

Joomla 2.5.18 & 3.2.2 * CB 1.9.1 * CB Subs 2.0.0 * PHP 5.3.28 * Opera, Firefox, IE & Chrome (all most current versions) * Hosted by Host Gator

10 years 3 weeks ago #242154 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Spam Registration, Help Needed!

steinsandy wrote: Joomla registration is turned off.
CB Captcha is now turned on, it wasn't enabled before. Hopefully that resolves the spam problem but why were the required fields ignored?

Meant that either you have not turned Joomla registrations off or you have some other extension installed that has its own registration process open for spammers.

BTW - this is not a CBSubs support question. Please post such questions and issues on the other forum areas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steinsandy

10 years 3 weeks ago #242162 by steinsandy
Replied by steinsandy on topic Spam Registration, Help Needed!
I have CBSubs enabled on that site and thought it might have to do with the lifetime free membership subscription plan.

Joomla registrations are off, and there are no other registration extensions installed. Hopefully captcha fixes the problem. So far I have not had any new spam registrations since I activated it and turned cb registration back on.

Cassandra Patton
campaign-promotions.com

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn