Stripe Fraud IPN history

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #309153 by wjgadmin
Stripe Fraud IPN history was created by wjgadmin
Hello,
We received a successful recurring payment from a user and the CBSubs URL http post was never sent. So I looked into the history logs and saw the following:
stripe Stripe IPN fraud attempt. ERROR: Stripe subscription IPN type subscr_payment for a basket without auto-recurring items: Invalid transaction. Please contact site administrator to check error log.

Could you please advise why we'd get that and how to resolve it? I want to make sure that the http posts are not being stopped because of some internal error. Thank you

UPDATE: looking further into this, the payment doesn't even show in the CBSubs / "Payments". I've determined that the users subscription expired, however their payments are still being deducted accordingly. That explains the error from the stripe IPN, I'll have to look further into why the user's subscription expired while payments are still being made.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #309166 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Stripe Fraud IPN history
Is their subscription expired at Stripe? Is CB, CBSubs, and CBSubs Stripe completely up to date? There was a previous issue were an expired credit card IPN wouldn't be processed and cause an issue like this, but that should be fixed now when expired credit card should put the subscription back into a pending state until a successful payment comes through. Within Stripes developer page for the webhook you should see an event log. The event that's sent out for expired credit card causes an invoice.payment_failed event, which CBSubs Stripe will check for.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #309179 by wjgadmin
Replied by wjgadmin on topic Stripe Fraud IPN history

krileon wrote: Is their subscription expired at Stripe?

No it is still active

krileon wrote: Is CB, CBSubs, and CBSubs Stripe completely up to date?

Yes they're all the latest build

krileon wrote: There was a previous issue were an expired credit card IPN wouldn't be processed and cause an issue like this, but that should be fixed now when expired credit card should put the subscription back into a pending state until a successful payment comes through. Within Stripes developer page for the webhook you should see an event log. The event that's sent out for expired credit card causes an invoice.payment_failed event, which CBSubs Stripe will check for.

Looks like this user was from approx 3 months ago, so perhaps that falls in the timeline?
The only thing that I see is that the user's payment source was updated but nothing out of the ordinary and no failed payment notice.

Is there anyway to sync their subscription backup with CBSubs? Since the subscription is still active on Stripe and it is clearly still sending the IPN appropriately, is there a way I can reactivate it in the CBSubs db and allow it to work again?

5 years 3 months ago #309201 by krileon

Looks like this user was from approx 3 months ago, so perhaps that falls in the timeline?

Possibly. The best approach is to be sure to configure Stripe to not retry. This is done within Billing > Settings by setting "Retry rules" to "Custom dunning rules" then for the first entry select "Stop trying to collect payment and…" followed by selecting "cancel the subscription" for "Then finally". This ensures failing payments need to be retried from CBSubs and not at the gateway it self.

The only thing that I see is that the user's payment source was updated but nothing out of the ordinary and no failed payment notice.

How was it updated? The only way to update a payment source is to pay from CBSubs unless you updated it at Stripe for them. Essentially everything should be "hands off" and let CBSubs handle it as any alteration of their data at Stripe could negatively impact the communication with CBSubs.

Is there anyway to sync their subscription backup with CBSubs? Since the subscription is still active on Stripe and it is clearly still sending the IPN appropriately, is there a way I can reactivate it in the CBSubs db and allow it to work again?

No, cancel it at Stripe.

What API version are you using at Stripe? You should be able to check for this under the Developers page. Only API up to 2018-02-05 has been tested. Latest is 2018-11-8 and appears it might have some breaking changes that are not accounted for yet.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 3 months ago #309208 by wjgadmin
Replied by wjgadmin on topic Stripe Fraud IPN history

krileon wrote: Possibly. The best approach is to be sure to configure Stripe to not retry. This is done within Billing > Settings by setting "Retry rules" to "Custom dunning rules" then for the first entry select "Stop trying to collect payment and…" followed by selecting "cancel the subscription" for "Then finally". This ensures failing payments need to be retried from CBSubs and not at the gateway it self.

Ironically this was already done, this is somewhat confusing because since those were already the settings in stripe, why would it still be running the payment for that user? In theory, it would have cancelled the subscription because CBSubs didn't recognize it, correct?

krileon wrote: How was it updated? The only way to update a payment source is to pay from CBSubs unless you updated it at Stripe for them. Essentially everything should be "hands off" and let CBSubs handle it as any alteration of their data at Stripe could negatively impact the communication with CBSubs.

I would have updated it via stripe's dashboard. Yes, this is a HUGE item and I beg you guys to add the ability for the users to update their credit card onsite. This has caused so many issues thus far, more than anything other because they forget to update and their subscription gets cancelled and then they want to resubscribe, yet somehow they're still charged for the old & now the new subscription. :(
That is another issue in itself and I've altered all of our settings as you've suggested to resolve it, but still doesn't stop the issue:(

krileon wrote: What API version are you using at Stripe? You should be able to check for this under the Developers page. Only API up to 2018-02-05 has been tested. Latest is 2018-11-8 and appears it might have some breaking changes that are not accounted for yet.

It appears we are using 2018-02-06 version (100% usage). In the CBSubs stripe gateway it shows as 2018-02-05.
Is there a change needed? If we do not make this change now, will it automatically update to the new version in stripe if we make the change in CBSubs?

Thank you

5 years 3 months ago #309214 by krileon

I would have updated it via stripe's dashboard. Yes, this is a HUGE item and I beg you guys to add the ability for the users to update their credit card onsite. This has caused so many issues thus far, more than anything other because they forget to update and their subscription gets cancelled and then they want to resubscribe, yet somehow they're still charged for the old & now the new subscription. :(
That is another issue in itself and I've altered all of our settings as you've suggested to resolve it, but still doesn't stop the issue:(

That would be the problem then. Let Stripe cancel it and it will tell CBSubs. They can then renew at CBSubs. As I've said in several of these requests once CBSubs has the API to facilitate updating cards on file CBSubs Stripe will have the functionality to do so as well. Until then leave it be and let it cancel. Do not touch subscriptions established by CBSubs; it's an automated and delicate relationship with the gateway.

They should not end up with 2 subscriptions as long as Stripe is configured as instructed above otherwise I've no idea what to suggest as the old subscription should've cancelled fine. You already reported this problem below, which we still have an active bug ticket for. I've yet to find the cause beyond the retry parameters in Stripe.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/277-cb-paid-subscriptions-support/239186-still-problems-with-reactivation-of-user-plan

If you manually updated the payment source though it may have renewed the subscription (it shouldn't have renewed a cancelled subscription at Stripe), but CBSubs has already expired and cancelled. Will have to retest such a scenario to see what kind of IPN Stripe is sending in this case (they have a frustrating absurd amount if IPN types with several basically doing the same thing) as CBSubs already handles subscription and invoice payments which in theory should renew it at CBSubs unless Stripe is sending some other IPN type not accounted for in this specific scenario.

It appears we are using 2018-02-06 version (100% usage). In the CBSubs stripe gateway it shows as 2018-02-05.
Is there a change needed? If we do not make this change now, will it automatically update to the new version in stripe if we make the change in CBSubs?

2018-02-06 should be fine as there was no breaking changes there. No CBSubs won't force usage of newer API once supported; you'll have to manually change that in your gateways settings as I've been maintaining B/C for previous versions via that version dropdown.

I won't have time to dig into this deeper until I've completed the Privacy Suite integration changes for core CB. So likely won't be this month.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn