Installation

16 years 11 months ago #37896 by Salvaje77
Installation was created by Salvaje77
Hi!

I have been reading the documentation about installation.
I still can't figure out how it works. Do I go to Add Remove Programs, choose Add Remove Components??

Well I have tryed that and still can't find how to install a component that's not on the list there.

What am I missing here. Please give me a dummy explanation of how to install.

thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #37926 by 3pio
Replied by 3pio on topic Re:Installation
I have the samme problem;)

16 years 10 months ago #38426 by ajay
Replied by ajay on topic Re:Installation
Agreed. Many of these extensions have NO user guides. They must think we are all computer whiz's. I need a step by step and I would be fine. Instead, I spend (waste)a ton of time trying to figure out what to do once I have the zip file. They all work just a little different and some are just components and then some also have modules and then ther are files I can't figure out at all and no help figuring it all out.

Developers - Please consider many of us are getting by with the skin of our noses and don't understand all this and want desperately to learn. When you create an extension, could you have a user guide to go with it? I know that would be a lot of extra work, but it should cut down on all the forum space!

16 years 10 months ago #38444 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Installation
ajay wrote:

Developers - Please consider many of us are getting by with the skin of our noses and don't understand all this and want desperately to learn. When you create an extension, could you have a user guide to go with it? I know that would be a lot of extra work, but it should cut down on all the forum space!

The problem is that if you are a developer, you have more things to do than time. Then you need to prioritize and this usually goes to fixing bugs etc rather documentation. Also, developers are really bad in documenting because you do think a bit differently about usability etc.

Another solution would be that the users who have spent the time to learn the software would help in documenting. This is where the greatest potential lies, I think.

Mikko

16 years 10 months ago #38622 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Installation
Salvaje77 wrote:

Hi!

I have been reading the documentation about installation.
I still can't figure out how it works. Do I go to Add Remove Programs, choose Add Remove Components??

Add Remove Programs ????
Do you mean the Windows control panel option?
NO - you are really mixed up if this is what you mean.

Well I have tryed that and still can't find how to install a component that's not on the list there.

What am I missing here. Please give me a dummy explanation of how to install.

thanks!

The pdf installation guide does have screenshots.
This is really a Joomla newbie question.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is assumed that some basic Joomla experience is needed.

16 years 10 months ago #38623 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Installation
ajay wrote:

Agreed. Many of these extensions have NO user guides. They must think we are all computer whiz's. I need a step by step and I would be fine. Instead, I spend (waste)a ton of time trying to figure out what to do once I have the zip file. They all work just a little different and some are just components and then some also have modules and then ther are files I can't figure out at all and no help figuring it all out.

The readme file in the ditribution package does have step by step instructions. However it does assume that you are competent with Joomla component/module installations. NO documentation starts at ground zero. Basic computer knowledge is required ... otherwise you shouldn't really be creating a website on your own B)

Post edited by: nant, at: 2007/05/29 07:36

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn