Realname field optional?

17 years 3 months ago #29586 by cmos
Realname field optional? was created by cmos
Hi,
I have user on my site, who don't want to share their realname with others.
My question is:
Can I make the realname field optional and if it is possible how can I do this?

Thanx.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 2 months ago #30235 by Beany
Replied by Beany on topic Re:Realname field optional?
We have the same problem, and it's not so easy to disable since many joomla components use this field.

We got around the problem by making the combining the firstname and surname fields, renaming the title to FirstName and creating a new (optional) custom field called Surname.
Make this field to not show on the profile.

This way, the user can input their firstname in the mandatory field and surname in the new field.
That way, you still have a record of their full name but only their first name will ever be revealed to other site members

16 years 7 months ago #46482 by curt
Replied by curt on topic Re:Realname field optional?
Beany,

I didn't quite understand what you meant by:

Beany wrote:

We got around the problem by making the combining the firstname and surname fields, renaming the title to FirstName and creating a new (optional) custom field called Surname.
Make this field to not show on the profile.

Is your "new custom field called Surname", the same field as the combined firstname and surname fields?

There is a field called "name" that comes with Joomla or Community Builder (I'm not sure which), which is mandatory. How do you change the title of this field?

Even if I can change the title of the "name" field, this is not an ideal solution for me. I've just imported hundreds of users and I need to update their data manually on the front-end. They don't have names, only usernames, and I can't update their profiles because it keeps telling me that the name field is mandatory. I don't want to enter a bogus name because the value of this "name" field appears in various other modules/plugins, such as JIM Private Messaging, E-mail and CB_Login. Ideally, I need to disable this "name" field" or make it optional. Does anybody know how to do this?

Post edited by: curt, at: 2007/09/23 23:19

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn