Security Images

17 years 3 months ago #28275 by denniz
Replied by denniz on topic Re:Security Images
I too would like to see captcha/security images built into CB. I tried changing required fiels (set to different sorts of input: text, dates, url, radio boxes etc). Now for one site I have switched to manually approving new accounts as it was getting out of hand! It is very annoying to see all these medical/gambling/xxx bots registering.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #28581 by Sparky
Replied by Sparky on topic Re:Security Images
beat wrote:

Did you try updating to cb 1.0.2 and disabling core joomla registration ?

CB 1.0.2 has quite a few lines of defense against current spam-registration bots, in the wait for a captcha cb plugin.

Hadn't done that yet, but making the changes you've suggested unfortunately made no difference.
It's been about a week since i did, but the spammer registration problem persists.
Some of the accounts are even activated.

I still say that there is only one thing that will stop automated form fillers dead in their tracks, and that's a capcha.

BTW, i'm currently also using the Domcontrol plugin to prevent registrations with email domains that are frequently used by spammers, like newpostcash.org, cashette.com and com.com. It works well, as long as those adresses are used. But it will not prevent an automated form filler to start using email addresses with another domain. Like one used for valid registrations.

[EDIT]
I've forgot to say that i was already using 1.0.2. I usually install the updates 2-3 days after they come out, sometimes sooner.
[/EDIT]

Post edited by: Sparky, at: 2007/01/08 15:45

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you
don't understand it well enough yourself." --(Albert Einstein)

17 years 3 months ago #28710 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Security Images
Yes, images will be probably the only way forward with the increasing popularity of CB...

Looks like the increased anti-spam security of cb 1.0.2 isn't enough...

So It has a high priority on the list.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 3 months ago #28719 by Sparky
Replied by Sparky on topic Re:Security Images
beat wrote:

Yes, images will be probably the only way forward with the increasing popularity of CB...
Looks like the increased anti-spam security of cb 1.0.2 isn't enough...
So It has a high priority on the list.

Thanks, it's much appreciated.

I wait with bated breath for the moment i no longer need to check every single signup for validity :-))

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you
don't understand it well enough yourself." --(Albert Einstein)

17 years 3 months ago #29453 by skenliv
Replied by skenliv on topic Re:Security Images
Hello! Im also eager for securityimages 4.1.2 integration. I had to shut down my page because of spam issues.

Do the developers know an estimate time?..

Post edited by: skenliv, at: 2007/01/20 18:04

17 years 3 months ago #29454 by mihat
Replied by mihat on topic Re:Security Images
I dont know why patch in this topic has been removed. I compared files befoure upgrade with files after upgrade and added code that initialize security images. Everything works fine. Users can normaly register and login.

I urge the CB team to post back security images patch that has already been posted in this topic cca in september when I was developing first relase of my site.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn