Is it me, or is GroupJive....

14 years 11 months ago #98502 by datawebusa
Is it me, or is GroupJive.... was created by datawebusa
....development moving at a snail's pace?

I have it installed and working, but development does not seem to be moving too quickly. At the same time I am noticing JomSocial evolving slowly but nicely.

I love CB, but I need a robust component for creating groups and I am getting uneasy about GroupJive.

Are my fears well founded or unfounded?

-Brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #98513 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Is it me, or is GroupJive....
Mostly unfounded I would say, although based on what's communicated they are understandable.

We are in contact with GroupJive dev team, there are things moving, and we are discussing with them their current issues, so that we can address them properly. We have also contributed number of fixes as well.

So, in any way, there should be more news coming not to far away.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #98520 by Roland
Replied by Roland on topic Re:Is it me, or is GroupJive....
My suggestion:

Integrate Groupjive completly in CB.

Make a new site (with own template) like the profile-site.

Make group-things like menue, members, Board, forum as plugin / tab and a option as same as in the CB-Profiles to place them on the side....

www.simple-quality.de - The Quality-Web-Portal

14 years 11 months ago #98805 by nilsy
Replied by nilsy on topic Re:Is it me, or is GroupJive....
Personally I think GroupJive is pretty great for the most part.
With some GroupJive help, I got it up and running complete with the Forums integration etc, in close to no-time.
Then the upgrade worked great, to Joomla 1.5.10

The thing is as I see it, it does the job nicely, by creating groups, that is private to group Members.

Other functionality stuff seems to be an integration case, which seems to be pretty much under control. At least for my needs...

The only weak point I can really think about is the template side of it.
At the moment, hemi or default is a bit restrictive.

14 years 11 months ago #98809 by datawebusa
Replied by datawebusa on topic Re:Is it me, or is GroupJive....
I do have Groupjive installed and working well. I do like it. I am just a tad concerned about the slow progress and the seeming lack of communication or a project roadmap.

For example, I have yet to receive a newsletter from Groupjive despite registering many months ago. And their site still says "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" on the frontpage.

I was one of those that contributed some time last year (I forget what they called the program) in an effort to get programming moving along. And if I was seeing progress I would be glad to contribute more.

Frankly, I think Groupjive is a complex enough product for the makers to feel very comfortable charging a reasonable premium for their wares. The folks at jomsocial are getting $150/license.

I realize we're talking open source and that most of the programming is done by volunteers, so by no means am I being critical of the programmers' efforts. It just seems that the risk of programming just stopping one day is real, especially when it comes to free components and modules. And this has already happened once w/Groupjive.

Again, I'm willing to pay. Just show me regular progress and a roadmap/timeline for development.

14 years 11 months ago #99039 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Is it me, or is GroupJive....
No worries. :)

Beat (CB Developer) has been in discussion with the developer for the past month and there will be news soon.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn