Problem with Remember me in CB login

15 years 6 months ago #73637 by Canuck
Replied by Canuck on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
Looks like I'll be buying the subscriber version :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #76612 by belserg
Replied by belserg on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
I'm having the same issue with Joomla 1.0.15 and CB 1.1

Remember Me function in CB login module does not work as the browser does not remember user info (apparently due to absence of cookie).

Hopefully this issue will be solved soon. :dry:

And this has nothing to do with session lifetime seconds specified in Joomla and forum settings.

15 years 5 months ago #76628 by Swiftek
Replied by Swiftek on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
belserg,

You really need to upgrade to Joomla 1.5. The migration is pretty simple. I highly recommend it.

If your problem is such that you are logged in once you click refresh or a link on your page, then I have some code that will fix the problem with CB 1.1 on Joomla 1.5. It may very well work on Joomla 1.0 also, but that is not how it was represented to me and I have not tested it.

If you are not being logged into your page at all even after refreshing, then I fear you have a different problem that will not be corrected by this fix.

I've also had a similar issue caused by JFusion (a bridge-like extension for forums). Feel free to ask me about that.

As always, before you start trying things, now's the time to do a backup;) .

Here's the code I refer to. THANKS FEENDISH. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here. You put it at the very beginning of the template's index.php file.
[code:1]<?php
/**
* The code below was written by Feendish, a Joomlapolis forum member to fix the login refresh issue.
*/

$user =& JFactory::getUser(); //Grab the Joomla 1.5.x user details object
if ((!$my->id)&&($user->id)){ //If the legacy array is not populated but user is still logged in according to Joomla 1.5.x,
foreach ($user as $key => $value) { //loop through 1.5.x user object
$my->$key=$value; //and copy 1.5.x object value to same key in 1.0.x object.
}
}

/**
* The code above was written by Feendish, a Joomlapolis forum member to fix the login refresh issue.
*/
?>[/code:1]

Got Tech?

15 years 5 months ago #76642 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
belserg wrote:

I'm having the same issue with Joomla 1.0.15 and CB 1.1

Remember Me function in CB login module does not work as the browser does not remember user info (apparently due to absence of cookie).

Hopefully this issue will be solved soon. :dry:

And this has nothing to do with session lifetime seconds specified in Joomla and forum settings.

The cookies serve as the memory item the browser needs to remember. Most sites rely on being able to store a cookie in the user's temp files, so disabling cookies will also disable this functionality.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

15 years 5 months ago #76644 by Swiftek
Replied by Swiftek on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
:blink:

I don't recall anyone suggesting that cookies be turned off or disabled...

:huh:

Did you have some information that may help, Rapunzl?

You stated yourself that the problem was apparently due to cookies being turned off and wanted the problem solved. It's working as it should, so I don't understand the problem. (If cookies are disabled, the browser will not remember the login.)

Post edited by: Rapunzl, at: 2008/10/07 19:58

Got Tech?

15 years 5 months ago #76901 by belserg
Replied by belserg on topic Re:Problem with Remember me in CB login
Swiftek wrote:

belserg,

You really need to upgrade to Joomla 1.5. The migration is pretty simple. I highly recommend it.

Been there, done that. In my opinion, Joomla 1.5 is in Windows Vista stage right now - it's pretty, seems more useful, but it's heavier and currently with more bugs. Plus not so many plugins work nicely under 1.5 yet, even though they tend to have green "Native" sign on Joomla's extensions page. It's nearly impossible to migrate some very useful components that run fine under Joomla 1.0.x also. So after testing for some time, decision was made to run production site on Joomla 1.0.x still.

If your problem is such that you are logged in once you click refresh or a link on your page, then I have some code that will fix the problem with CB 1.1 on Joomla 1.5. It may very well work on Joomla 1.0 also, but that is not how it was represented to me and I have not tested it.

If you are not being logged into your page at all even after refreshing, then I fear you have a different problem that will not be corrected by this fix.

My problem, which - as far as I've read the forums - seems to be shared by many other admins, Joomla 1.0.x ones in particular, is that when you login to the site (Remember Me is hidden and checked) and then open a new browser window with the same site, it does not rememer you. Same happens, I think, when simply some time passes and you refresh the browser window in which you logged in to the site, but the one you did not close. Upon refreshing, it does not help, the site does not remember you and login form is diplayed, EVEN THOUGH your username is shown in CB's who's online module as being present at the site.

This is really inconvenient for the users and I did not expect to find this underwater stone when made a decision to deal with CB, which was overall a pleasant experience.

I've also had a similar issue caused by JFusion (a bridge-like extension for forums). Feel free to ask me about that.

JFusion is also one laggy thing. :) I've been trying to bridge it with my long-existing IPB board, but JFusion is far from perfection and eventually I found Joomla-SMF bridge by JoomlaHacks much more reliable.

Thanks for your replies and hopefully solution to initial Remember Me issue will present itself soon!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn