Confirm Email Address

15 years 1 month ago #91645 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Confirm Email Address
Currently, you'd need to write a plugin to do this... or have someone do it for you.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 days ago #95218 by drew.j.cooper
Replied by drew.j.cooper on topic Re:Confirm Email Address
I've created a small CB plugin that adds a "Confirm Email" field to the registration page.

I've released v0.0.1 today at sourceforge.net/projects/cbconfirmemail/. You can see it on the user registration page at www.panania.anglican.asn.au.

I consider this to be Alpha code at the moment. It works on my site under Joomla! 1.0.12 and CB 1.1, but I can't guarantee it in other versions (though I think it should be okay).

This is my first contribution to Community Builder (and to the Open Source community in general) so constructive and encouraging feedback would be appreciated.

Post edited by: drew.j.cooper, at: 2009/04/16 15:16

Post edited by: drew.j.cooper, at: 2009/04/17 15:37

Andrew Cooper
CB3PD

14 years 10 months ago #102170 by drewhemm
Replied by drewhemm on topic Re:Confirm Email Address
drew.j.cooper wrote:

I've created a small CB plugin that adds a "Confirm Email" field to the registration page.

This is my first contribution to Community Builder (and to the Open Source community in general) so constructive and encouraging feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Andrew,

Let me say you ARE the man!!

I have installed the plugin and it is working perfectly. I think this should be included in the core CB code as I think it is essential for any business that operates a community to ensure that they have the correct details for their community members. This is the first line of defence against useless data.

I just have a couple of questions:

1. It appears as if the plugin is checking the email addresses server-side, i.e. after the user clicks Submit. If this is correct, this is excellent as it means that browsers without JS will still have their email addresses checked. However, would it be possible to add a JS verification so that when the user clicks submit, the page will not reload if the email addresses do not match? I could probably do this as a hack, but I am wondering if it can be introduced via the plugin so that hacks to the core code aren't necessary...

I have attached a screenshot of the plugin in action on a development site.

Regards

Andrew

Post edited by: drewhemm, at: 2009/06/16 12:25
Attachments:

14 years 10 months ago #102265 by drew.j.cooper
Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that the plug-in is working for you. I'd appreciate a review at extensions.joomla.org if you have the time.

You are correct that the verification is done server-side. I built the plug-in based on code of another plug-in which does server-side verification. I agree that client-side verification would be good, but I'll have to look into the CB architecture more to understand how to do this. It's functionality I'd like to add, but I can't say when it will happen at the moment. I'm pretty busy with other projects. I'll be sure to post an update here when it's done.

Thanks again,

Post edited by: drew.j.cooper, at: 2009/06/17 01:31

Andrew Cooper
CB3PD

14 years 10 months ago #102280 by drewhemm
Replied by drewhemm on topic Re:Confirm Email Address
Hi Andrew,

Just posted feedback on the extensions site.

I don't know if you realised, but the plugin works natively and does not require legacy mode to be enabled. It might be worth updating that on the extensions site so that more people can use it.

Now that I think about it, the client-side verification should be fairly straightforward. If a script can be included that checks the value of the original password form against the confirmation value, I think it prevent the submission of the form using DOM without having to hack the submit button directly. I'll look into this today and if I get it to work, I'll send you the code.

Regards

Andrew

14 years 10 months ago #102283 by drew.j.cooper
Andrew,

Thanks again.

Can you let me know what version of Joomla / Community Builder you're running on?

I've updated the extension information to show 1.0 Native and 1.5 Native.

I'd appreciate the client-side code, and will of course acknowledge your contribution.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Cooper
CB3PD

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn