After upgrade can't login anymore

16 years 8 months ago #42635 by Mr. Winterbottom
Replied by Mr. Winterbottom on topic Re:After upgrade can't login anymore
Hi, I got a similar problem:

I updated CB using the expert update.
Afterwards I updated Joomla to 1.0.13.

Now I can't login through CB login. I only get a message saying "You are not authorized to view this page"
However, I can login through Joomla standard login.

Any ideas? :dry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #42645 by btorgan
Replied by btorgan on topic Re:After upgrade can't login anymore
I recently had the same problem. What I discovered was that after the upgrade to Joomla 1.0.13 the secure MD5 hash creates this condition.

Here's how I solved it:

1. I went into my MySQL database on the host server using my db id and password. Looked up the "jos_user" file and edited the password field for my record. This is an MD5 hash so that is what has to replace it.

2. I went on the web and found a site that generates MD5 hash and entered a simple password like "admin". This generates the MD5 hash and I clipped and saved it to my clipboard. (Ctrl+C). I went back to the record in the db and replaced the MD5 hash that was there with the "admin" hash code (Ctrl+V) and saved it.

3. I entered this new password in the admin sign on and "Viola" I was back in the admin of my site. I went to User Admin and changed my password to what I really wanted it to be. This generates a new MD5 hash that is salted (you can tell because there is now a ":" in the MD5 code in the record in the database).

From now on a synchronized CD 1.1 and the Joomla 1.0.13 work well with the id and password and the site is more secure.

I hope this works for you, at least it did for me.

Regards, BT:)

16 years 8 months ago #42657 by PGLion
Replied by PGLion on topic Re:After upgrade can't login anymore
btorgan wrote:

I recently had the same problem. What I discovered was that after the upgrade to Joomla 1.0.13 the secure MD5 hash creates this condition.

Here's how I solved it:

1. I went into my MySQL database on the host server using my db id and password. Looked up the "jos_user" file and edited the password field for my record. This is an MD5 hash so that is what has to replace it.

2. I went on the web and found a site that generates MD5 hash and entered a simple password like "admin". This generates the MD5 hash and I clipped and saved it to my clipboard. (Ctrl+C). I went back to the record in the db and replaced the MD5 hash that was there with the "admin" hash code (Ctrl+V) and saved it.

3. I entered this new password in the admin sign on and "Viola" I was back in the admin of my site. I went to User Admin and changed my password to what I really wanted it to be. This generates a new MD5 hash that is salted (you can tell because there is now a ":" in the MD5 code in the record in the database).

From now on a synchronized CD 1.1 and the Joomla 1.0.13 work well with the id and password and the site is more secure.

I hope this works for you, at least it did for me.

Regards, BT:)

Loud and clear, I am gonna try that right away. But what about my 1200 members, how can they login?

16 years 8 months ago #42669 by Mr. Winterbottom
Replied by Mr. Winterbottom on topic Re:After upgrade can't login anymore
btorgan wrote:

You can do that more easily if you use phpMyAdmin, which has a md5 function build in. When editing the record in phpMyAdmin choose MD5 in the function column and enter the password in the value column. PhpMyAdmin will generate the md5 hash and store it instead of the plain value.

But I agree with PGLion: This is no solution for the members of our sites.

I also did not have problems logging into the backend, and I can login via the Joomla login module. My password has already been salted - possibly after CB 1.1 installation and before Joomla 1.0.13 upgrade? Does CB 1.1 produce the salted passwords?

Why do I get the "You are not authorized to view this page" message, it does not tell me that user name or password are wrong?

16 years 8 months ago #42713 by btorgan
Replied by btorgan on topic Re:After upgrade can't login anymore
Yes, if you upgrade CB first and then Joomla the password is already salted. If you upgrade joomla first like I did then it was not.

I'll have to try the phpMyAdmin next time, it sounds a lot more simple and safer.

I recall reading a Joomla forum item in which there was a problem with 1.0.13 having a "loop" sign in problem. I'm afraid I can't offer any more suggestions than that. Good luck!

16 years 8 months ago #42716 by derekingermany
Replied by derekingermany on topic Re:After upgrade can't login anymore
I'm having the same problem.

First i upgraded CB (1.0.2 -> 1.1) then I upgraded Joomla (1.0.12 -> 1.0.13)

Then I believe what has happened is that in the User Table (*_users) the password field becomes corrupted.

I tried to use the original login module, but that didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

My Community Website
www.mein-neuruppin.de

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn