Apostrophe in email address

16 years 8 months ago #43229 by overett1
Apostrophe in email address was created by overett1
Tracker item #536 at joomlacode shows that errors regarding apostrophes in names and email addresses were fixed in CB 1.1 beta 2. I have installed CB 1.1 but apostrophes in surnames are still being rejected in the front-end, and email addresses are still incorrect.

Is anyone else still seeing the same issue?

Jonathan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #43336 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Apostrophe in email address
username format is depending on hosting cms.... ;)

names displays are now fixed.

email addresses worked ok, apostrophes are not allowed in email addresses per RFC.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 8 months ago #43370 by overett1
Replied by overett1 on topic Re:Apostrophe in email address
beat wrote:

username format is depending on hosting cms.... ;)

It's not the username format, it's the inability to enter a first name or surname that contains an apostrophe, upsetting those of Irish extraction! Try at www.fsla.org.uk/component/option,com_comprofiler/

email addresses worked ok, apostrophes are not allowed in email addresses per RFC.

Paras 3.2.4 and 3.4.1 of RFC 2822 suggest otherwise, no?

3.2.4. Atom

Several productions in structured header field bodies are simply strings of certain basic characters. Such productions are called atoms.

Some of the structured header field bodies also allow the period character (".", ASCII value 46) within runs of atext. An additional "dot-atom" token is defined for those purposes.

atext = ALPHA / DIGIT / ; Any character except controls,
"!" / "#" / ; SP, and specials.
"$" / "%" / ; Used for atoms
"&" / "'" /
"*" / "+" /
"-" / "/" /
"=" / "?" /
"^" / "_" /
"`" / "{" /
"|" / "}" /
"~"
atom = [CFWS] 1*atext [CFWS]
dot-atom = [CFWS] dot-atom-text [CFWS]
dot-atom-text = 1*atext *("." 1*atext)

Both atom and dot-atom are interpreted as a single unit, comprised of the string of characters that make it up. Semantically, the optional comments and FWS surrounding the rest of the characters are not part of the atom; the atom is only the run of atext characters in an atom, or the atext and "." characters in a dot-atom.

3.4.1. Addr-spec specification

An addr-spec is a specific Internet identifier that contains a locally interpreted string followed by the at-sign character ("@", ASCII value 64) followed by an Internet domain. The locally interpreted string is either a quoted-string or a dot-atom. If the string can be represented as a dot-atom (that is, it contains no characters other than atext characters or "." surrounded by atext characters), then the dot-atom form SHOULD be used and the quoted-string form SHOULD NOT be used. Comments and folding white space SHOULD NOT be used around the "@" in the addr-spec.

addr-spec = local-part "@" domain
local-part = dot-atom / quoted-string / obs-local-part
domain = dot-atom / domain-literal / obs-domain
domain-literal = [CFWS] "[" *([FWS] dcontent) [FWS] "]" [CFWS]
dcontent = dtext / quoted-pair
dtext = NO-WS-CTL / ; Non white space controls
%d33-90 / ; The rest of the US-ASCII
%d94-126 ; characters not including "[", ; "]", or "\"

In any event, apostrophes seem to be widely used in email addresses in practice so it would be helpful if CB could be a bit less restrictive in this regard.

Thanks

Jonathan

16 years 7 months ago #43538 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic Re:Apostrophe in email address
I just received an e-mail from a client with the same problem. I've subscribed to this thread in hopes that a solution will be forthcoming.

On the front-end registration, the apostrophe causes an error message in the first or last name fields, and the e-mail address.

On the back-end, I can correct the first or last name, but when I correct the e-mail address, it replaces it with ' where the ' was supposed to go.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

16 years 7 months ago #43862 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Apostrophe in email address
Ok, it seems the joomla regexp is not right for emails.

Check here:

forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,198551.0.html
forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,197027.0.html

You may change the regexp used for email validation in comprofiler.html.php

But i'm not sure that the server-side validation in mosUser in joomla.php will work...might need a fix as well ;)

Please try and report back the findings. I've marked this problem for fixing in next release, and we will look at input here when we come to it.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 6 months ago #46231 by overett1
Replied by overett1 on topic Re:Apostrophe in email address
Tried playing around with it but haven't had any joy so far :(

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn