Collapse Avatar Image List After Selection

15 years 10 months ago #64813 by Terp
...just a suggeston that might add value to the registration process.

I finally, with the help of Nant pointing out the corret directory to upload the images, added a dozen 128x128 avatars to the list of image options during the registration process.

Now I see why the smalled thumbs were used for default: the form is pushed WAY down with the larger icons.

One thing that would make this doable (had to remove the 128x128, as it made the users scroll too far to get back to the form fields) would be to have the image field collapse once a radio-button is selected.

So they choose the "Select Image from gallary" option, out pops the big 128x128 images I uploaded (and none are toggled by default), they toggle one on, the options collapse back to the default state of not showing any (or even have a new view that shows the selected icon only), and now the form looks presentable.

Food for thought (if this makes sense)? :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #64830 by beat
nice idea (just hiding the unselected gallery items), but trying to make a "don't make me think" UI:
then if the user changes his mind and wants to see the entire list again ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 10 months ago #64831 by Terp
It looks like you already have some drop-down conditioning working there with Ajax?

You could add a new option for 'Change Selected Image' that would then fire the 'Select Image From Gallary' option, which springs the image gallery?

I didn't think this through that much, but will think about it some more right now. ;)

Then again, I was just about to move that field to the very bottom, rather than have it on top, then this point might be moot...:)

15 years 10 months ago #64833 by Terp
Okay, I got it. ;) But this will probably have to be for 2.0 :)

Once you select the option "Select from image gallery," it fires a highslide JS and the images are displayed in the popup as option links...you click on one, and the highslide closes and the selected image is displayed next to the 'Profile image.'

Rather than use a drop-down, I would would envision 2 buttons: 'Upload personal image' and 'select from gallery.' If neither are selected, no image will be uploaded. If you click 'upload personal image,' the highslide JS fires a popup with the file field; the 'select from gallery' fires a popup with the gallery images. :)

15 years 10 months ago #64842 by beat
Terp wrote:

Okay, I got it. ;) But this will probably have to be for 2.0 :)

Once you select the option "Select from image gallery," it fires a highslide JS and the images are displayed in the popup as option links...you click on one, and the highslide closes and the selected image is displayed next to the 'Profile image.'

Rather than use a drop-down, I would would envision 2 buttons: 'Upload personal image' and 'select from gallery.' If neither are selected, no image will be uploaded. If you click 'upload personal image,' the highslide JS fires a popup with the file field; the 'select from gallery' fires a popup with the gallery images. :)

Thanks for brainstorming on this :)

That would make the user think that by selecting and confirming the selection of gallery avatar it saves it, while the save happens on "register" or "update profile"....

Simple UIs are lots of work to reduce to minimum, but no less :D

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn