So trying CB & Joomla costs $40?

15 years 10 months ago #65014 by strong_epoxy
So trying CB & Joomla costs $40? was created by strong_epoxy
Yesterday I started to evaluate Joomla so I downloaded the latest version. Then discovered I needed CB. Created an account and downloaded it. While attempting to install it I get:

"Your Extension appears to be written for an older version of Joomla!. You must enable the System - Legacy Plugin in the Plugin Manager if you wish to complete this task."

So I come back here and get hustled for $40.

I try to use open source to avoid exactly this scenario. Will the CB project eventually 'get it' or is this what we can expect going forward and should probably move on to another CMS project?

Post edited by: strong_epoxy, at: 2008/06/07 23:34

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #65019 by dping28
Replied by dping28 on topic Re:So trying CB & Joomla costs $40?
CB is free, there is a documentation subscription you can get. CB 1.1 was written for Joomla ver 1.0.x but can work in Joomla 1.5 with the legacy plug-in. The new version of CB (1.2) is written to run natively in J! 1.0.x & 1.5 .. It how ever is not released for general public as it is still in RC. Its a "perk" for doc subscribers to get early access to RC versions. So you werent hustled into paying. You can wait until the RC testing is done and is released for all.. HOWEVER I think the subscription is well worth the $$$ as this is a FABULOUS extension and Documentation and the developers deserve our support.

-D

CB Testteam member

15 years 10 months ago #65024 by strong_epoxy
Replied by strong_epoxy on topic Re:So trying CB & Joomla costs $40?
No worries.

Neither paying $40, evaluating old versions, or simply waiting are viable options when evaluating this software. Combined with the heavy handed registration requirements I'd be just as well off with commercial software. Off to the trusted ExpressionEngine suite.

Before you lose your next new user, how about making sure your GPLd plugin ALWAYS works THE FIRST TIME with the latest version of Joomla. THEN up-sell them to value added services.

15 years 10 months ago #65030 by Raj
Replied by Raj on topic Re:So trying CB & Joomla costs $40?
Yeah, there are over 3000 extensions available for Joomla and TONS of development going on for Joomla. Try to find that with ExpressionEngine...it doesn't exist.

15 years 10 months ago #65031 by DizzyWombat
Replied by DizzyWombat on topic Re:So trying CB & Joomla costs $40?
Joomla doesn't require CB.

The Legacy plugin is still necessary for most Joomla extensions. It doesn't mean CB is outdated; it means Joomla made some radical jumps in coding standards. The Legacy plugin is Joomla's way of making sure most extensions still work.

Your problems seem to be due to a lack of knowledge about different versions of Joomla (1.0.15 and 1.5.3 are both 'current').

Also, you're being really rude. I didn't see Beat wrestling $40 out of your wallet. You could have gotten around purchasing it by enabling the Legacy plugin.

As far as I know, there is nothing that brings a site together like CB. I have five different extensions and half a dozen modules that do it.

15 years 10 months ago #65050 by blackheart_six
Replied by blackheart_six on topic Re:So trying CB & Joomla costs $40?
strong_epoxy wrote:

Yesterday I started to evaluate Joomla so I downloaded the latest version. Then discovered I needed CB. Created an account and downloaded it. While attempting to install it I get:

"Your Extension appears to be written for an older version of Joomla!. You must enable the System - Legacy Plugin in the Plugin Manager if you wish to complete this task."

So I come back here and get hustled for $40.

I try to use open source to avoid exactly this scenario. Will the CB project eventually 'get it' or is this what we can expect going forward and should probably move on to another CMS project?

Post edited by: strong_epoxy, at: 2008/06/07 23:34

First, sorry my first post on this site is so negative. But when I see ignorance as this, it makes me mad.

YOU DIDN"T GET HUSTLED! You just lack ability to understand what Open Source Software is. Open Source Software DOESN"T mean FREE! It means the code is available to the public (OPEN) to edit, and improve. RTFM! Not all open source is charged for, and Not all open source is free. Educate your self before saying you got ripped off, when in fact your just ignorant.

Post edited by: blackheart_six, at: 2008/06/08 13:45

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.616 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn