HELP! 1.2 RC 2 Install error J1.5.3 (New Install)

15 years 9 months ago #69233 by studiowest
Joomla: 1.5.3
MySQL: 4.1.22
PHP: 5.2.5

New Installation of CB on J1.5.3 site:

After installing the com_comprofiler.zip I got the following error:

Unable to create directory '/home/chooknet/public_html/media/install_4889ae6dcc799/language/'Unable to create path for /home/chooknet/public_html/media/install_4889ae6dcc799/language/
Installer - Error
Uncompressing /home/chooknet/public_html/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/pluginsfiles.tgz failed.
[ Continue ... ]

after I clicked on continue the following error was at the top of the community builder page:

Warning: file /home/chooknet/public_html/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/pluginsfiles.tgz still exists. This is probably due to the fact that first installation step did not complete, or second installation step did not take place. If you are sure that first step has been performed, you need to execute second installation step before using CB. You can do this now by clicking here: please click here to continue next and last installation step.

I have not clicked on anything else please advise so that I can continue the installation I have just subscribed and paid my money so that I can get the J1.5 version now I can't install it.

Is it because my safe mode is On?
My hosting provider wont turn safe mode off, so they told me I must have a php.ini file in each directory that i want safe mode off.

Your install creates a temp folder in the media directory and I cant put a php.ini in that folder becuase the directory is given a random name at the time of creation by your installation script.

Please help urgent.

Post edited by: studiowest, at: 2008/07/25 11:25

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #69247 by beat
You need to have a valid writable tmp directory for installing CB and CB plugins.

Maybe you can do this in the php.ini file in the administrator directory ?

it can be /tmp, tmp, media or any other directory.
Also your default file and directory attributes must be coherant.

This is a server setup issue.

If your hoster can't help you, you should consider changing hoster ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #69284 by robs1412
Beat,

I agree with you that a non-writable tmp directory is concern enough to think about a hosting switch. However, this is not a short term solution and might have a number of other implications.
I very much appreciate the work the Community Builder Team is doing and also understand that we contribute to the open source project and don't buy software by paying the doc subscriber fee.
This being said, I think the answer "If your hoster can't help you, you should consider changing hoster" is somewhat frustrating for somebody who is desperate. I understand your time is valuable and you are doing a lot, this just didn't agree with me.
Enough time spent: here is a possible solution ... (at least worked for an upgrade, maybe also for a clean install - not tested)
Install the CB 1.2RC2 with regular upload component even though the second step won't be performed. Go to the directores administrator/components/com_profiler and components/com_profiler -- replace the two folders with the expert files in the CB package. Don't forget to save your ue_config.php file!

Hope this helps,

Robert

15 years 8 months ago #69380 by studiowest
Wow thanks (so far) Robert, I followed those instructions and now all the plugins are installed.

Although when I went to CB admin interface I still got the error message about pluginsfiles.tgz still existing so I just renamed the file and no error message now, it looks OK so far.

I will continue with the setup and see if there are any problems but so far, so good!

Thanks so much so far Robert you are a legend!

I will advise here of the success as soon as I get everything else setup.

15 years 8 months ago #69394 by beat
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the help B)
Really highly appreciated, specially as a first post :)

The same problem might araise again when installing 3pd CB plugins, and for that one i don't have a simple solution, except to try to create a "tmp" folder in the joomla installation with write access from the web-process. Maybe it will do it.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #71495 by studiowest
All seems to be working fine, thanks so much for the advice and so quickly.

I originally wanted CB for providing the captcha code on user registration but I am finding more and more great features each time I get time to look a bit further, great component.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn