Users Select Their Own Category on registration?

15 years 6 months ago #75963 by ziggy03
I run a pet shop and community portal using CB 1.2 RC. Now what i want to know is there a way for the users to select their category while registration sign up??
the categories will be trainer, breeder, vet & owner! It also if it comes with a tag to the username like in the fourms you have ranks as tags for the username. And more admin control as in i can select to send a newsletter only to owners whil breeders will get a different news letter. I know this is possible but im very confused so some help will be greaty appreciated!

I am an Indian; I know about & believe in Karma way before forums were even invented ;-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #75966 by Rapunzl
The future release of the Subscription plugin sounds as if it will do what you want.

;)

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

15 years 6 months ago #75970 by piersol
Simply create a required radio button field where they must choose one of the categories.

Have it appear in their profile.

And then create a list, filter it to ONLY include that field with the parameters = to each particular field.

You can see an example at Louisville.BodyWorkAds.com of how we categorize clients separate from providers. And we go on step further and separate each different type of provider using this same method.

15 years 6 months ago #76007 by mediaguru
Yes. Current CB can do essentially what you want. I have members sign up as "business" "male" "female" or "golf course" on my site and created a radio button field for them to mark it. I make it required. Then hopefully someday I can use those fields better with a plug or with a new version of CB.

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

15 years 6 months ago #76117 by ziggy03
Thanks for the help guys, using piersol's technique i'm able to do that quite well... in fact not only they select wether they're breeder, trainer or vet on reg. page they can also select which pets they own....

I am an Indian; I know about & believe in Karma way before forums were even invented ;-)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn