Call to Action!

14 years 1 month ago #124473 by beat
Call to Action! was created by beat
This thread discusses the Content article: Call to Action!

Thanks Nick :)

As you have seen in the new year's resolutions, it's going to be an exciting year here for all of our community. :)

I would like to say a big big big BIG THANK YOU to all our community members. B)

The last few years have been an exciting ride, starting with a few members and going to almost 300'000 registered community members ! Wow ! :woohoo:

Also the cooperation between active community members in here and with CB Team has been remarkable. :)

Most of the time I look in our site's activities, I'm impressed by the collective wisdom, the help to each other, and by the level of the discussions, despite the huge number of members. B)

Each time I look into the directory here or at Joomla Extensions Directory for CB extensions, I'm amazed by the number of extensions available for CB, thanks to its open API. :)

Soon, with CBSubs 1.1, same will be happening for this membership site CB extension that has an exciting API too. ;)

Soon, there will also be big news for CB too, with release of a few long-anticipated and a few surprise CB Team plugins, that have been in development and private testing for months now and are reaching the quality level that you and we are expecting from CB Team.

While we are preparing those releases, the site redesign project is starting and that's an exciting area too, as we want to take a big step from the current outgrown site to the next step, to help newcomers and regular members find their ways quickly and in a pleasant way. Your input (ideas to improve) and help (time to give feedbacks, review, check, and so on) is warmly welcome, here and on our new joomlapolis.com website tracker here to keep ideas, suggestions and issues organized. :woohoo:

This is Your Community too, let's improve it all together. :)

EDIT:
This thread is for discussing ideas and suggestions for joomalpolis.com Web-site.

Please discuss upcoming CB 2.0 ideas and improvement suggestions from CB 1.2.1/upcoming 1.2.2 here on that thread, so we don't mixup:

www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,100/id,124757/#124757

Post edited by: beat, at: 2010/02/19 15:31

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #124549 by Roland
Replied by Roland on topic Re:Call to Action!
Hello,

one suggestion for the site redesign:

Clean the forum-categorys... If I want to find the uddeim-category I've to scroll over "Import Content", "CB 1.2.1), "CB 1.2 Stable", "CB 1.2 RC4", "CB 1.2 RC3", "CB 1.2 RC2", "CB 1.2 RC", ...
Make it like Kunena: one for the actual release and one with all posts for the old releases.

Suggestin for CB:
More love and easier user navigation in the frontend:

- two possible views for some tabs: a short and a long view: example: connections: short view: 10 connections in a tab; long view: a list of all connections

- frontend tab edit direct from the tab: editable tabs should have a small icon in the header. If the user clicks on it a lightbox open in which he can edit the field from this tab... and also set privacy settings for this tab...

- expandable tabs: at first only the header were shown. If you click on the header it opens the tab (choosable in the tab configuration like "div" or "div with title". Example: www.simple-quality.de Login/pass: demouser/demouser

- support alphauserpoints... the hacks don't realy work well

Post edited by: Roland, at: 2010/02/17 05:58

www.simple-quality.de - The Quality-Web-Portal

14 years 1 month ago #124553 by loila
Replied by loila on topic Re:Call to Action!
the facebook connect feature should be the most important part of new projects. and admins should change user groups frontend.

www.vidogg.com

Dedicated

14 years 1 month ago #124566 by hjames
Replied by hjames on topic Re:Call to Action!
While CB is already great:
1) I think that a more useful and more user friendly templating system would be nice. Something similar to that of Joomla were users can simply assign plugins to blocks/module positions within the template. And at the same time say who can see what and when. << Some features of CB Subs obviously but this needs to be core and needs to be free.

2) I would like to see some privacy settings, I have already donate my CB Privacy to Beat for possible future Core implementation, but this only holds a small amount of functionality that should be core.

3) While I agree with the facebook connect I also disagree. I think it should be a priority but not top.

4) I would like a better search function for CB that allows Zip/Postcode Radius Searching. This is a core functionality of most Social Networking sites.

5) Some Ajax funxtionality would be nice to reduce page loading times.

6) Photo Gallery, Video Gallery - Forget 3rd Party Integration, this should be core. The current Gallery Plugin is useful but not the pretiest thing out there.

7) Why is it that its so difficult to add menu links to the core menu? I want my users to be able to flip through tabs on their profile of full page plugins and not the tab system of CB. Its difficult to say the least and can be done currently but again difficult and time consuming.

8) What Are You Doing << This is a must for Social Networking. Granite there are two or three plugins already available for CB that do this, I would think it would be a core function. We aren't re-creating the wheel. Take someones "useable" code and clean it up, enahance it and call it Core.. done deal!

9) What with Encrypting CBSubs? I hate this! Most of us are familiar with zipcodeshop.com? Well like so many I purchased their "encrypted" CB Search Component and Module. It never has worked right and they bailed on all of us. Now I have $99 software sitting in an Archive folder I can't use. What happens if CB dies? I want to be able to upgrade and continue development of the software for my own purposes if necessary.

10) PM System, again why 3rd Party?

The list goes on and on so I will cut it short.

I will also add however that I feel Joomla! is getting flooded with redundant software and its ridiculous. If these companies/individuals who make the same thing but try and make it better would simply combine their talents we would have a whole lot less crap and a lot more usability, not to mention cleaner, more user friendly code.

With that being said I would like to see my "Components" list slimed down to some extent by using "NEW" core CB Functionality.

If I can help with templating I would like to do this as I have already made several designs and post them at Kunena.com all of which have had a lot of interest amongst the community.

Thanks,
James

14 years 1 month ago #124617 by ndee
Replied by ndee on topic Re:Call to Action!
EDIT because of Beat's off-topic reminder:

as i and some others obviously misinterpretet the "call for action" my suggestestions are moved to a not so important side show here: www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,100/id,124757/#124757
EDIT2: sorry they are lost, copied the link over my suggestoins in the clipboard - life is hard ...

i have nothing to say about redisign of joomlapolis.com because I think the groundwork has to be done first ...

great if you have 300.000 members who "use" the software .. sad if you have just a few out of 300k who contribute - right? .. not many devs answering here.. maybe all left already? hmm...

Post edited by: ndee, at: 2010/02/19 17:17

Post edited by: ndee, at: 2010/02/19 17:17

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

14 years 1 month ago #124619 by hjames
Replied by hjames on topic Re:Call to Action!
I agree with ndee, it would be very useful to have a set of docs that help us develop some of these features we desire.

And if we do make a noteable contribution that is worth while, it should be considered for implementation into the core of CB and not just overlooked and added to the JED.

Additionally, I think there need to be more current releases. Its great having a Stable Release every year or two but want about New Features. Some people like to see that the project is moving forward and if CB followed a pattern similar to that of Kunena (monthly / bi-monthly) updates it may show people that CB is here to stay and is going to be the number one social networking resource for Joomla!

Lets get things moving forward. Is there anything that the CB team needs help with specifically?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn