New Developer Membership

12 years 5 months ago #180362 by carlholden
Replied by carlholden on topic Re: New Developer Membership
A great idea ! The additional features should assist those working with CB ona professional basis, and in many cases, multiple sites. As others have asked, when may this level of membership be available ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #180368 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: New Developer Membership

carlholden wrote: A great idea ! The additional features should assist those working with CB ona professional basis, and in many cases, multiple sites. As others have asked, when may this level of membership be available ?

As soon as we have received more feedback on this thread.

Any other benefits you feel developer plan subscribers should enjoy?

12 years 5 months ago #180382 by jojo12
Replied by jojo12 on topic Re: New Developer Membership
when I understand it right, then there will be a membership where the costs are paid with helping in development. For me it's a good idea.
For me it was a bit strange to pay much for professional subscriber and then to (have to) help in finding bugs... But because cb and gj.. are so exciting, I made it anyway.

12 years 5 months ago #180394 by nant

jojo12 wrote: when I understand it right, then there will be a membership where the costs are paid with helping in development. For me it's a good idea.
For me it was a bit strange to pay much for professional subscriber and then to (have to) help in finding bugs... But because cb and gj.. are so exciting, I made it anyway.

No this is not the case.

Developer programs are typically much more expensive than any other membership packages (just take a look at other examples on the web).

The developer program is primarily meant for groups that rely on our products and want beta releases and more access to our core developers.

12 years 5 months ago #181370 by ThePiston
Replied by ThePiston on topic Re: New Developer Membership
I've never had a developer membership on any site, so forgive me if I sound naive. I just do not see the benefit of paying more though to help you design the extension and beta test it. Seems like this would work the opposite way - a cheaper membership in exchange for our services. For example, I think CBsubs should have a "Payment Schedule" plugin. In the plugin you can design multiple payment schedules (monthly, quarterly, etc). You would combine this with the Payment plugin so that people may choose to pay fees "Monthly" with "eCheck". Or "Quarterly" with "Credit Card". Anyway, maybe I am ignorant to the benefits.

CB 2.3, CBsubs 4.3, PHP 7.1, J! 3.9.X

12 years 5 months ago #181376 by nant

ThePiston wrote: I've never had a developer membership on any site, so forgive me if I sound naive. I just do not see the benefit of paying more though to help you design the extension and beta test it. Seems like this would work the opposite way - a cheaper membership in exchange for our services. For example, I think CBsubs should have a "Payment Schedule" plugin. In the plugin you can design multiple payment schedules (monthly, quarterly, etc). You would combine this with the Payment plugin so that people may choose to pay fees "Monthly" with "eCheck". Or "Quarterly" with "Credit Card". Anyway, maybe I am ignorant to the benefits.

Developer plans are for people or organizations that make heavy/bulk use of specific products during their offerings. If you look at other open-source and closed-source products you will see that most developer plans will "prove in" if this organization uses 5-10 instances of the product during each year.

Such plans typically allow developers to install said product on as many client sites as needed and get support for all those sites during the course of the subscription.

So for example, if a developer has 10 clients and needs professional membership services for these 10 sites (add-ons, support, etc.) instead of purchasing 10 Professional memberships for each client site, a developers subscription would be better.

This is one way to look at it - most open-source products and template clubs have similar plans.

We also have the CBSubs product, which is currently closed source and many "developers" want to further extend things either for their clients or as extra add-on type products (example new payment gateway, or the feature you proposed). A CBSubs related developers subscription could provide CBSubs API support to allow such extra product development.

These are just some of my thoughts to share my perspective.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn