Bug with cb_login or system cache

15 years 4 months ago #79449 by melsen
Bug with cb_login or system cache was created by melsen
Alright... I'm seeing some weird problems with my site that I haven't been able to iron out.

Site:
www.livingpixels.org

Error: When visiting the site, even for the first time, it will often greet me as a wrong user and say: Hi, 'insert name'.

People has to click 'Logout' for that to disappear.. and next time it might even happen again.

Joomla Versions tested: Both 1.5.7 and 1.5.8

PHP Versions tested: Both 4.4 and 5.2

I mean.. sure I can disable the system cache and prevent it from happening... but I dont think thats where the problem is, because if I disable community builder and use the normal login module, then the problem isn't there...

Help please?

Ps.: When is the next/final version of CB 1.2 coming out?

- Allan Melsen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #79453 by melsen
Replied by melsen on topic Re:Bug with cb_login or system cache
Oh btw.. I guess I should note that I discovered that by deleting the cache/page/ directory naturally almost removes the problem..... temporarily... because it is only a matter of time before it happens again.

15 years 4 months ago #79463 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Bug with cb_login or system cache
This is imho a security bug of joomla, that obviously gets noticed only with highly dynamic user-specific content....on social sites aka CB-powered...

There is a long thread here about it, and please do reply there too, maybe joomla will this time look into your site ?

Here the url to that thread:

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=432&t=319565&sid=bcc0d0416fe81b498af58db8bf3157d2&p=1474702#p1474702

Please make sure before posting that if you have sh404sef, that same bug appears without that SEF component... It might be due to it (or any other SEF) as well.

We really would like this joomla-cache-bug to be solved, as we believe it's a joomla-security issue...

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 4 months ago #79466 by melsen
Hey thanks for that info Beat...

REAAAALLY annoying bug for sure... hoping Joomla will fix it soon..

Appreciate your help.

15 years 4 months ago #79495 by melsen
Dear Beat,

The below is a modified post of what I just wrote to ircmaxwell.... But I suppose this is just as relevant to you.

When you read this post, please keep in mind that english isnt my first language, and there might be some language barriers with regards to me phrasing myself properly.

With that in mind - remember that none of the below is meant to sound offensive, but more as a 'cry for help' so to speak...

I've jumped back and forth between 3 CMS systems... Xoops, Drupal and Joomla.. and I always end up liking Joomla the best... HUGE range of posibilities with all the modules out there. Community Builder is one of them

The problem for me and many others are - we are being thrown back and forth between the best of breed.. the best of Joomla - (according to some)
Joomla as an awesome CMS system, and CB as an awesome product for a community related site.

Being thrown back because neither part in my opinion seems to want to take ownership in locating the actual error - and yes... I know that these are open source products and that many developers get nothing for doing this... but that just doesn't help me and others with this error.

At the Joomla site, we keep getting told that everything should be disabled and then attempted to be reproduced... the matter of the fact is - that even though that error cant be reproduced doesn't mean that the error isn't infact caused by Joomla itself and not CB or the other way around. As an example.. an application written FOR windows can fail BECAUSE of windows, and not because of code written in the actual application source-code... so what this bouncing back and forth between you guys at Joomlapolis and Joomla core team to me just seem as a way to avoid the error.. but seeing that I need CB - that isnt really an option to remove CB and by that avoiding the error.

As I see it.. it IS the cache being the problem because of the way it can temporarily be resolved.. whether CB accesses the cache module in Joomla in a way that provokes the error in a way the regular login module wouldn't.. thats something I can't answer.. but that is the precise reason why both development teams keep bouncing this issue back and forth.. because that gives each a posibility - in my opinion - to point fingers at eachothers.

So what is then left for us as users of Joomla as CB to do? We can't do anything really, because developers on both side doesn't take ownership in locating the bug and getting it fixed - and that to me is very sad... I've got no clue what to do.

I can set up Joomla.. I can set up CB.. but I'm not a developer and I can't troubleshoot the error... I do however have a live site that has this problem, and I do have users that periodically experience these errors, and uninstalling CB is just something that on a live site is very very difficult to do counting the huge impact it would have.

If this post have aggrevated you.. then let me apologize in advance... this was not the intention more merely an attempt to express my frustration.. please take a few minutes then to take a deep breath before replying and try to put yourself in my shoes.. and in the shoes of all other people who use these products..

Thanks for reading...

15 years 4 months ago #79496 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Bug with cb_login or system cache
Please PM me with backend access and I will take a look.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn