CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1

14 years 6 hours ago #130708 by beat
CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1 was created by beat
This thread discusses the Content article: CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1

Many Thanks to Nick for testing and releasing this version.

Thanks too to user MustLive for his improvement suggestion (which btw was neither a vulnerability as it doesn't affect system security nor a bug as it didn't affect the use or misuse possibility, because of other anti-spaming measures of CB used same time as CB Captcha).

We have taken the opportunity to improve CB Captcha's strength in several different ways, making the human-assisted semi-automated spamming much harder.

So CB Captcha 2.2.1 is a recommended upgrade to all previous Captcha 1.x and 2.x versions.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #133120 by vnews
Replied by vnews on topic Re:CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1
Something as fundamental as stopping spam sign-ups should be provided as a base service - whilst I was once a document subscriber, I certainly won't be again just to access what should be a user wide available security update for all.

As I have seen a large rise in these sign-ups in the last couple of weeks and the update is not openly available, the 3 domains running CB will now convert to Jom Social.

CB has not only an obligation to it's users to protect their security, it has an obligation to the wider internet as well, to preempt what is simply a form of web terrorism.

Sorry CB - I'm sure the update would have been received by All Users with appreciation.

13 years 11 months ago #133127 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1
First of all welcome to our forums, since its your first post!

Thank you for supporting our project as a CB Documentation subscriber in the past (although I cannot see this account you are posting from to have been associated at any time with such a subscription).

The Community Builder suite has chosen a specific model to financially support itself and we have been GPL from day one.

Good luck with your 3 domain projects and your moving to a more commercial extension - wishing you the best of course.

Your post does make me personally wonder if the project has in fact chosen the correct model. Maybe people would feel better if they were charged a fee for CB instead of downloading it for free and then being asked to support this effort after the fact?

Maybe we are not doing things right by giving the core Community Builder system 100% free and asking people to support what they already have on their sites?

Also for others reading, CB does have many built-in security measures that do protect the security and integrity of its data. Captcha has always been an add-on and for-the-record your new solution appears not to have it as a core feature.

Once again, maybe we should have also chosen a non-GPL 150 USD download policy and included everything in one big package (CB core with its registration workflows, its 15 field types, its 3 modules, its forum integration, its PM integration, its 14 CB Team add-ons, its 200+ pages of documentation, its forum support, the GroupJive component, etc)?

Maybe people would appreciate things much better this way?

Heck, we could even through in a CBSubs license and a support ticket service for this amount! Maybe people would appreciate this better?

Maybe such a solution would help get CB 2.0 out faster?

Maybe 35 euros for the CB Documentation and 14 CB Team released add-ons is not a good enough value for some?

These questions are my own personally statements and should not be considered as a CB Team opinion.

Once again I wish you good luck with your projects and I thank you for your post as it did make me think once again about the project's model.

Post edited by: nant, at: 2010/05/15 09:17

13 years 11 months ago #133128 by vnews
Replied by vnews on topic Re:CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1
Hi Nick

Firstly don't take my post as an outright downing of CB, it's a wonderful product, and I think it's only right to pay for 'functionality' plug-in's etc - but something like security shouldn't be tied to a subscription.

When an 'everyday' user such as myself purchases a component like CB, part of that choice is made on the expectation that this product has a 'serious' foundation behind it, and isn't just another component being 'peddled' ...

My subscription was under another email and whilst I agree that the price I paid for the documentation subscription was money well spent - once installed I don't see the point in re-subscribing for documentation again.

Security updates are just that and I would have thought it's in CB's long term interest that ALL INSTALLS of CB are secure, no matter what version.

regards
Marke

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #196334 by wolfsauge
Replied by wolfsauge on topic Re:CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1
Hi everybody,
Unfortunately on my website no link to the CB pages like "personal profile" does work. "Direct Access to this location is not allowed." is what I get.
I searched the forum and found: "This error means most likely that you have no installed the proper CB Captcha plugin." Next step was trying to download the plugin, but it is for subcribers only.
I cannot believe that. Why offer a free version when it does not work without the plugin one needs a paid subscription for?
Don't get me wrong, I would subscribe, but this feels very strange.
Greets
wolfsauge

12 years 2 weeks ago #196335 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB Captcha Plugin 2.2.1

wolfsauge wrote: Hi everybody,
Unfortunately on my website no link to the CB pages like "personal profile" does work. "Direct Access to this location is not allowed." is what I get.
I searched the forum and found: "This error means most likely that you have no installed the proper CB Captcha plugin." Next step was trying to download the plugin, but it is for subcribers only.
I cannot believe that. Why offer a free version when it does not work without the plugin one needs a paid subscription for?
Don't get me wrong, I would subscribe, but this feels very strange.
Greets
wolfsauge

The free version that was made available was for Joomla 1.0. Since then there have been many Joomla releases.

Latest CB Captcha version is offered as a paid plugin or as part of our membership subscriptions.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds