Emails not sent on registration

15 years 3 months ago #83955 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Emails not sent on registration
Have you attempted to disable global registration and use CB registration independently as well as ensured global settings:

J1.0
Use New Account Activation = YES

J1.5
New User Account Activation = YES

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2009/01/02 22:39

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #83956 by futuresounds
Replied by futuresounds on topic Re:Emails not sent on registration
krileon wrote:

Have you attempted to disable global registration and use CB registration independently as well as ensured global settings:

J1.0

J1.5

I'm getting a bit confused. If I disable global registration in J1.5.8 then I got to Global Configuration -> System -> Allow User Registration = No

Is that right? When I did that the "Registration" field is not there anymore and I can't register at all. Is that correct???

I did verify that New User Account Activation = Yes. I turned back on "Registration" for the time being.

www.FutureSoundsStudios.com - soon to be CB created! :)

15 years 3 months ago #83965 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Emails not sent on registration
futuresounds wrote:

krileon wrote:

J1.0

J1.5

I'm getting a bit confused. If I disable global registration in J1.5.8 then I got to Global Configuration -> System -> Allow User Registration = No

Is that right? When I did that the "Registration" field is not there anymore and I can't register at all. Is that correct???

I did verify that New User Account Activation = Yes. I turned back on "Registration" for the time being.

When making the above changes you also need to ensure:

Allow User Registration = yes, independently of global site setting

in community builder configuration.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 3 months ago #84025 by aidan.whiteley
Replied by aidan.whiteley on topic Re:Emails not sent on registration
Hi all,

also suffering the same problems with e-mail delivery on new registrations. The symptoms include

- all working correctly on dev and test boxes which are both Wintel combinations using SMTP e-mail delivery

- working intermittently on what will be production box (shared Red hat Linux). Unfortunately, the problem is intermittent with the failure rate to deliver being about 85% over about 20 tests

- the details of the test configuration are below. The failures are happening when configured to use the php mailer

- however, there are other components on the web site that reliably send e-mail via the php mailer function. The config for Acajoom (which always work OK) is at the end of the config section below

- when the global Joomla config was changed on the prod box to go via my SMTP account, all registration mails from Community Builder were delivered reliably

- the problem isn't limited to just emails on registration. It also affects sending e-mails via the profile pages i.e. select a user and messages / send email

- I can't say whether this problem affects the Sendmail configuration option. I'm not sure whether this is available on my plan although the sendmail path is visible at /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i. Either way, I'm not receing any e-mails when configured for direct use of sendmail

There seem to be quite a few similar posts on the forum so any help very gratefully received!

Cheers

Aidan

Overall config is
Joomla 1.5.8
Community Builder 1.2RC4
PHP 5.2.6

Global Config / user Settings
Allow user registration: No
New user reg type: registered
New user account activation: Yes
Front end user parameters: Show

Global Config / Server
Mailer: php mail function
Mail from: admin@example.org.uk
From name: snipped
Sendmail path: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i (hang over from trying sendmail)
SMTP Auth: no
Rest of smtp fields blank

Community Builder Configuration / registration
Allow user registration: yes, independantly of global site settings
Autogenerate random reg password: No
Require admin apporval: No
require email confirmation: Yes
Ajax email checker: No
Require unique email: No
Show lgon on registration page: No
Registration email name: registration@example.org.uk (also tried admin@example.org.uk in these fields)
Registration email address: registration@example.org.uk
reply to email address: registration@example.org.uk

Community builder configuration / moderation
Moderator approve emails: Yes
Send moderators e-mails: No
Allow user reports: yes

Acajoom e-mail component is reliably sending e-mails using
Mailer method: php mail function
From email: admin@example.org.uk

15 years 3 months ago #84027 by cowboysdude
Replied by cowboysdude on topic Re:Emails not sent on registration
I believe that the problem is still the same. Even if you change the Global to "NO" and change the CB to "Yes- Indepen" it doesn't send the notification email.

Some of us are using SMTP and it will NOT send the email.

I think I read that the email must match.. in both the global and Cb? Well if that's the case it does and still doesn't work yet no one can answer why. It works great once CB_Login is turned off.

My smtp settings are as follows:

SMTP Auth - YES
SMTP Username - Set to xxxx@xxx.xx.xxx
SMTP Password - XXXXXXX
SMTP Host - xxxx-xxx.xxxx

The email address is the same one set up in the global config for joomla yet it won't send ANY email at all. Even under the User Profile -> Contact Info -> Send email

It returns this error: "Your email failed to send! Please try again."

SO the system will NOT send email through CB... I have been trying to fix this for over 2 weeks now... Suggestions?

15 years 3 months ago #84031 by aidan.whiteley
Replied by aidan.whiteley on topic Re:Emails not sent on registration
Re. the previous post about SMTP and sending emails to users via the profile.

Yes - this does happen for me but the reason for this (in my case) is that my SMTP provider (btinternet.com) won't allow sending from email addresses they don't "own". In the profile email sending case, the "from" e-mail is, I presume, that registered for the logged on user. In my case this results on 553 errors back from the SMTP provider that CB sees and coverts it to the "your email failed to send..." message.

This is, I think, a different case to the registration scenario where the delivery email address is set via the CB registration config page. This is, for me, always a .btinternet.com address (until we can get the php mailer functionality to work reliably) and so the e-mail is sent

So I can send registration emails via SMTP but not profile emails.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn