Text fields too short on registration- for dummies

15 years 3 months ago #85391 by maxilee
...like me.

Thought Id post how to fix this as Ive been looking for days for a solution. Im using Joomla version 1.5.6

Basically my text fields (on the registration page) were about 2 characters long and I couldnt fix them but after reading through loads of posts on here Ive put together a quick step by step 'for dummies'...(if thats OK)

First things first, if your problem is the same as mine then it IS your Joomla template thats causing it.

1. From your Joomla editor (backend) go to Template Manager (Extensions > Template Manager)

2. Click on the name of the template you are using

3. Up at the top right, click on edit CSS

4. Select your template css from the list - usually called 'templatecss' or something similar.

5. Copy and paste the whole lot of this into a word document and save incase you make a mistake.

6. Scroll through the CSS file until you find '.sectiontableentry1' and '.sectiontableentry2'

7. Delete these parts of the .css file.

8. Save and preview - if it works fine then FANTASTIC! If it doesnt look at the template .css again and see if there are anymore setiontableentry1 and setiontableentry2 sections and delete those too.

9. If youve tried it until your eyes bleed and its still not working then paste the original code back into the template and carry on looking for a solution, its obviously a different problem to mine...

Hope this is easy to understand

Max

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #85393 by krileon
This will remove 2 heavily used classes from your template. It's not advised to do this.

It's a width issue within those 2 tags that can be fixed. Use firebug in firefox to review your input boxes CSS and you'll find the cause.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 3 months ago #85394 by maxilee
I used firebug and nothing I did would make those fields budge.

I can wade through css but Im not an expert (obviously)-what would you suggest instead?

Cheers

15 years 3 months ago #85404 by krileon
maxilee wrote:

I used firebug and nothing I did would make those fields budge.

I can wade through css but Im not an expert (obviously)-what would you suggest instead?

Cheers

I don't know without seeing the site for my self.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 3 months ago #85671 by randycedeno
I have the same problem... can someone help me? I removed the CSS portion as the other user said and did not resolve the issue, so I put it back.:dry:

Here is a portion of the main template where the sectiontableentries are...

.sectiontableentry1 {
background: transparent;
color: #999999;
font-size: 11px;
padding: 2px 0px !important;
text-align: left;
}

.sectiontableentry2 {
background: transparent;
color: #666666;
font-size: 11px;
padding: 2px 0px !important;
text-align: left;
}

#left_side .sectiontableentry1, #left_side2 .sectiontableentry1 {
color: #d3edf7;
line-height: 16px;
}

#left_side .sectiontableentry2, #left_side2 .sectiontableentry2 {
color: #ffffff;
line-height: 16px;
}

.sectiontableentry1 td, .sectiontableentry2 td {
padding: 2px !important;
}

.sectiontableentry1 input, .sectiontableentry2 input {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
height: 13px;
width: 13px;
background: none;
vertical-align: middle;
}

.sectiontableentry1 label, .sectiontableentry2 label {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 5px;
width: 185px;
display: block;
}

Post edited by: randycedeno, at: 2009/01/17 00:34

15 years 3 weeks ago #93202 by gheffron
Has anyone figured this out? I'm struggling with the same issue. My registration fields are about 2-3 characters in length -- not very usable!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn