"MySQL server has gone away" during registration

14 years 6 months ago #111136 by Theo01
Ok, I'm giving up now and take it here. ;)

When users register on my site, about 4 times out of 5, they're getting this nice page instead of registration successful:

* Error loading Menus: MySQL server has gone away SQL=SELECT m.*, c.`option` as component FROM jos_menu AS m LEFT JOIN jos_components AS c ON m.componentid = c.id WHERE m.published = 1 ORDER BY m.sublevel, m.parent, m.ordering
* Error loading Modules:MySQL server has gone away SQL=SELECT id, title, module, position, content, showtitle, control, params FROM jos_modules AS m LEFT JOIN jos_modules_menu AS mm ON mm.moduleid = m.id WHERE m.published = 1 AND m.access <= 0 AND m.client_id = 0 AND ( mm.menuid = 0 OR mm.menuid = 0 ) ORDER BY position, ordering
* Error loading Modules:MySQL server has gone away SQL=SELECT id, title, module, position, content, showtitle, control, params FROM jos_modules AS m LEFT JOIN jos_modules_menu AS mm ON mm.moduleid = m.id WHERE m.published = 1 AND m.access <= 0 AND m.client_id = 0 AND ( mm.menuid = 0 OR mm.menuid = 0 ) ORDER BY position, ordering

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /dir/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.class.php on line 3890

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /dir/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.class.php on line 3499
Please enter your name:

Warning: array_keys() [function.array-keys]: The first argument should be an array in /dir/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/plugin.class.php on line 410

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /dir/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/plugin.class.php on line 410

This comes up after more than a minute after clicking the "Register" button. If the registration finishes within 60 seconds everything is fine. That makes sense to me, because the MySQL settings for network timeout and wait timeout are set to 60 seconds.

The entire site is very responsive and not slow at all, including the admin interface.

Does anyone have an idea why the registration takes so long and comes up with this error?

I have optimized and checked all MySQL tables already. CB's tools report no error either, and all responses come back within a second. That's one more reason why this timeout during the registration process looks so weird to me.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #111260 by Theo01
What I've done so far to find the culprit (which I still haven't):

- Deactivated CB. The registration then works within a few seconds.

- Activated CB again. The registration takes again very long and comes up with the error most of the time.

- Backed up the site and created a local copy on my PC. Everthing apart from DB parameters is the same. Registration works within a second or two. This means I cannot reproduce the issue locally.

- I had originally "Allow registration" set in Joomla! and CB. I have now turned this off in Joomla!'s global config. It looks like this speeds up the registration process by about 10 seconds, but this is more like a feeling than a measured fact. Anyway, this now seems to make the registration with CB enabled work.

I also checked with the provider. They say there are currently no known issues with the DB. I didn't expect this anyway, because everything else works really fast.

I have additionally changed Joomla!'s (1.5.14) scripts helper.php and menu.php (the ones that contain the text "Error loading menus") to different texts. Should the error come back, this will give me a clue where the DB drops out.

Everything still remains a mystery for me...

14 years 6 months ago #111262 by nant
sounds like a really bad host...

i would forward the problem to them!

14 years 6 months ago #111598 by Theo01
No, it's not the provider. It must be something else, but I still have no idea what. :sick:

I have installed a new Joomla! 1.5.14 with Community Builder in a subfolder with a different database name on the same shared db server.

The registration with CB takes less than a second there.

That means, it can only be:
- The db or a table.
- A damaged file in Joomla! or CB.
- A third-party component or module (the test install runs without any).
- SEF/SEO.
- Hmm...

14 years 6 months ago #111600 by Theo01
Replied by Theo01 on topic Re:
Theo01 wrote:

It can't be any of these either. I forgot that the local copy works properly, and that is a 1:1 copy.

14 years 6 months ago #111606 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:
Theo01 wrote:

Theo01 wrote:

It can't be any of these either. I forgot that the local copy works properly, and that is a 1:1 copy.

I am stumped - still think its your provider, especially since you state that a 1:1 local copy works fine.

I hope you find what's wrong - sorry I cant help more.

It is not CB related for sure.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn