Counrty dropdown list...

18 years 3 months ago #2243 by joomladude
Counrty dropdown list... was created by joomladude
Hi Guys,
Is there a quick way to create a Country selection dropdown list on registration form without going through the pain of manually adding hundreds of countries, field by field? :sick:

I appreciate any help you can give.
TIA,

JD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #2253 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Counrty dropdown list...
Install phpmyadmin and use that to import a cvs-file that contains all the options. There is no import option in CB because it can be done in a matter of minutes in the DB.

One idea for future development might be to include predefined lists that are used often.

mikko

18 years 3 months ago #2269 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:Counrty dropdown list...
mikko,

I'm not a coder just an avid user. As a coder can you tell me if it is possible to do this as a plug-in. This sounds like it would be an easy plug-in and if so would be kind of cool. Plug-ins that would add Countries, States, Provinces, etc.

What might be even better is a plug-in that would add a file type for a new drop down or just add functionality to the existing dropdown that would add a browse feature to browse to a CSV file. Once submitted it would add all the fields from within CB. I do know that this can all be down from mysql but a lot of users either know nothing about mysql or would rather not get their hands dirty back there.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

18 years 3 months ago #2277 by crash777
Replied by crash777 on topic Re:Counrty dropdown list...
You could mess up whole databases being in phpmyadmin... I liken it to the Windows Registry and think it really needs to be treated with grave respect. I think a plugin would be a great idea but honestly, it doesn't need to be a CB plugin. it could be a component for all of Joomla. (I know I could find uses for it).
In this case, I am reminded of the "examples" and components in facile forms... kind of like scriptlets ready to use. A special "country" plugin that can be popped in to a tab or the reg form would be great.

18 years 3 months ago #2283 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:Counrty dropdown list...
crash777 wrote:

In this case, I am reminded of the "examples" and components in facile forms... kind of like scriptlets ready to use. A special "country" plugin that can be popped in to a tab or the reg form would be great.

That's exactly what I mean. Facilforms is a great example. Also, CB team can add this as a standard option with the installation of the CB which can be turned on-off at admin section. This will save a lot of trail and error time on behalf of all CB users.

I see that this is already implemented at JoomlaPolis's sign-up form. I will appreciate if someone at joomlapolis to post a sample MySQL import file, so I can add it to my site.
Regards,

JD

18 years 3 months ago #2305 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Counrty dropdown list...
I just finished and published the article How to populate a CB Field with a Country List . It should help everyone in such matters. Actually, its a nice tutorial.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn