Access to Preview - Trusted Referrers

13 years 8 months ago #139913 by mmichaelbiz
Access to Preview - Trusted Referrers was created by mmichaelbiz
I have set up a new virtual server and have copied over my old website. I want to test it before switching my dns.

I have been using the preview site option but as soon as I try to type a URL manually (e.g. /administrator to access the backend) I am faced with a security warning:

Warning! Webmin has detected that the program https://MY DOMAIN:10000/virtual-server/link.cgi/IP ADDRESS/http://MY URL/administrator was linked to from an unknown URL, which appears to be outside the Webmin server. This may be an attempt to trick your server into executing a dangerous command.

I have had a look at the steps mentioned:

[code:1]If your browser does not send the Referer header needed, you can turn off this check as follows :

Login to Webmin normally.
Go to the Webmin Configuration module.
Click on the Trusted Referrers icon.
Check the Trust links from unknown referrers box, and click Save.
Alternately, you can configure Webmin to allow links from unknown referers by :

Login as root, and edit the /etc/webmin/config file.
Find the line referers_none=1 and change it to referers_none=0.
Save the file.[/code:1]

But havn't had much luck finding the right places to set these.

Is it possible for me to amend the trusted referrers settings for a short time?

Or is there a better way for me to access the URL without using the Webmin panel - I have a colleague who would like to preview the site and I just want to give them an URL and not access to login to the server.

Thanks for any help with this.

Regards,
M Michael

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #139981 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Access to Preview - Trusted Referrers
The website preview feature of webmin is really just for a quick preview from within webmin. The setting you refer to is a global server-wide setting which is not accessible to users of our standard hosting.

To give access to your site, just use another domain name (e.g. activedomain.com) that is already served by our DNSes as follows:

1) select from drop-down the site ("virtual server") that you want to give access to, but isn't yet active (e.g. example.com)
2) click "create virtual server" menu just below
3) at top, click "New virtual server type:" "Alias of example.com"
4) enter a spare subdomain of the activedomain.com, e.g. examplepreview.activedomain.com into "Domain name" field
5) (you can uncheck "accept mail for domain" in "enabled features", but leave other features active)
6) click "Create Server"

This will allow you to see the hosting of example.com on our server by accessing examplepreview.activedomain.com . This should work at least with Joomla 1.5 if you don't have a special . h t a c c e s s file.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 8 months ago #139985 by mmichaelbiz
Replied by mmichaelbiz on topic Re:Access to Preview - Trusted Referrers
Beat you are a star - thanks for your swift reply!

I will give this a go :)

Best Regards,
M Michael

13 years 8 months ago #139986 by mmichaelbiz
Beat, just followed your steps and it worked great :)

One thing however, perhaps out of the scope of this topic but maybe you can shed some light on it anyway.

My template does not appear on every page. It does not appear on the home page but it does on some of the other links.

I have had a look and the links (comparing the ones that show the template and the ones that don't) and they seem to contain all the id and menu id as expected and seem to contain the same info.

I have use SE Friendly URLS and mod_rewrite enabled...

Any ideas where I could start troubleshooting this?

Kind Regards,
M Michael

13 years 8 months ago #140010 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Access to Preview - Trusted Referrers
Looks more like a joomla settings or template issue than a hosting one ;)

- Joomla templates can be restricted to some pages in the joomla template settings.

- Check your html source page and check the http links inside, e.g. to the template css files...

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gccc98

13 years 8 months ago #140019 by mmichaelbiz
Thanks Beat,

Thought as much. :laugh:

Keep up the great work!

Moderators: beatnantgcorbazkrileon
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn