What is the definition of a 'site'

14 years 8 months ago #104864 by alfons
What is the definition of a 'site' was created by alfons
I've a question about the licensing of CBSUBS. On the subscription page it says: 'The license is floating (not bound to a sitename), and includes 1 additional development or test site per license.'. My question is: what is the definition of a site. In my case I have three environments:
- dev.mysite.com
- test.mysite.com
- www.mysite.com

Would that be considered as three sites? In my opinion it's one domain so 1 site. An example of two sites would be:
- www.mysite.com
- www.myothersite.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #104911 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:What is the definition of a 'site'
It's "one installation/copy of the software on one server powering one site."

So if your 3 domains are just DNS aliases pointing to the same installation and site, it would count as one.

In the same order of magnitude, www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com pointing to the same installed site counts of course as 1.

sub-domains with different joomla installations (and/or different content) would count as separate installations/sites.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 8 months ago #104973 by alfons
Replied by alfons on topic Re:What is the definition of a 'site'
So if I run three subdomains, two of hem are supported within the license. For the third one I need an additional license. Correct?

Do I need to purchase a seperate (full) license or is it possible to extend my current license. It's obvious that my 'test' and 'development' domains will not be used by any users, so I think that purchasing a full license for this purpose would be an overkill.

I think it's would be better to provide means that not one but two additional sites would be supported since it's common to have a test, developmen and production site.

Post edited by: alfons, at: 2009/07/15 08:46

14 years 8 months ago #104987 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:What is the definition of a 'site'
All valid sound points.

Provided that the 2 extra sites are for development and test only, your live site license will cover them fine too, and will work already now technically. :)

So no need to purchase an additional license for development and testing. :)

In case you have another live site used in productive live site, you would then need to either extend your existing license (button "Change options" inside license on your profile here) to a second live site, or to purchase a separate license ("Your current subscription upgrade possibilities" section below your current license).

We might reword our license slightly at next revision to expressly put that case in it.

Thanks for asking and suggesting sound solutions. In my first reply I didn't notice that it was your dev=development and test subsites, but understood they were productive. Sorry for fast read while releasing CBSubs 1.0.2.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 8 months ago #104997 by alfons
Replied by alfons on topic Re:What is the definition of a 'site'
Thanks for the answer. It's clear for me now. I think it's forthwile to rephrase the license. Maybe with some examples.

Don't worry about your 'fast reading'. I'm sure you have to deal with a lot of forum post each day, aside from all of the developments. Maybe a vacantion is in order.....

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn