Can Community Builder be configured as a dating website?

6 years 4 months ago #300357 by nemmar
Hi,

This is a pre-sales questions on Community Builder for Joomla 3.8x. I want to create a new Joomla site that is a dating website. I would like to know if your CB extension can be used and configured for a dating website.

Basically, it would function like a directory where men/women can create and post their online profiles and they can send/receive emails from other profiles, and block unwanted users from contacting them via their profiles, etc. I would need it to be able to use ACL permissions to adjust/limit options/features available for free/paid members/profiles on the site.

I have never used CB, but I have used Joomla for all of my websites for many years. I have read great reviews about CB in the JED with all the add-on extensions the component has. So I know your CB extension is excellent. I just need to know how it can be configured for a dating website. I viewed the CB demo and I can see clearly how it would be a great social extension, like a Facebook inside of Joomla. But what's not clear is how it can be used specifically as a dating site with limited access for guests, and full feature access for paid members, like you see on the popular online dating sites.

Thank you for any advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #300393 by krileon
Pretty much all of CBs features and plugin features can be controlled entirely with ACL so that's certainly doable to add all kinds of content limits based off membership. As for memberships it self you'd use CB Paid Subscriptions. For a dating site I'm guessing you'd need the following at the very least.

CB Gallery
CB Privacy
CB Conditional
CB Paid Subscriptions

If you wanted an activity stream for your users you'd also want the following.

CB Activity
CB Auto Actions (this will bridge CB Gallery to CB Auto Actions for generating activity)

The main feature missing would be the ability to block users. That's not currently available and is planned in a later release of CB Privacy as per the below feature ticket.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/4969

However you could use UddeIM for private messaging instead of using emails, which does have blocking functionality to help block communications.

The directory functionality I assume would just be a standard userlist, which you can configure however you like in CB > List Management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn