Is community builder a good fit for my project?

5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #306195 by deemo
I have been asked by an online community that I am a part of to look at building a standalone website I used community builder many years ago so thought of it immediately as being a good fit, but it has been so long I just want to check a few things.

It's to be a community site (free no payment gateway needed ect. though might need to ad one later) I need to be able to do the following;

- Each user gets a profile page - on which they can post images and status's
- Each user can actively follow/friend other users
- Each user gets the ability to private message each other
- Any user can block any other except 'admin'
- Any user can search other users based upon - name - classification - location +/- miles etc.
- User's should be able to report things to admin
- User's should be able to post 'classified ads' with geographical info
- Classified's should be searchable by geographical area
- Responses to classified's should be private.

Also ideally user should be able to categorise their images as NSFW (Not Safe For Work) and other users should be able to apply a filter that blocks these images - it's an artists community someone is bound to post a nude and someone else is bound to be offended by it

And if it is what would be the right 'package' to meet my needs.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #306202 by krileon

- Each user gets a profile page

That's a part of CB core and is free.

on which they can post images and status's

You can use a standard image field and text field as free options for this or go more advanced using CB Gallery for full profile galleries and CB Activity for a full activity stream.

- Each user can actively follow/friend other users

You'll need CB Activity to follow users. As for friending users that's free and a part of core CB as Connections.

- Each user gets the ability to private message each other

Also a part of core CB, but you'll need to install UddeIM as well.

- Any user can block any other except 'admin'

There's no functionality to block specific users, but you can use CB Privacy to ensure only specific types of users or Connections can view your profile and/or fields/tabs.

- Any user can search other users based upon - name - classification - location +/- miles etc.

We've no radius based searching. Best I can suggest is having some address fields then being able to search those, but it'd require specific or partial address at least.

- User's should be able to report things to admin

Users can report other users profiles if enabled and is a part of CBs core. CB Activity has a report feature to report specific activity posts as well.

- User's should be able to post 'classified ads' with geographical info
- Classified's should be searchable by geographical area
- Responses to classified's should be private.

We don't provide a classifieds plugin. You'll need a separate Joomla extension for that.

Also ideally user should be able to categorise their images as NSFW (Not Safe For Work) and other users should be able to apply a filter that blocks these images - it's an artists community someone is bound to post a nude and someone else is bound to be offended by it

If using CB Gallery they could just create a Album for all their NSFW content.

Nothing really exists to provide all of what you're wanting in a single package. So you'll need to explore using other extensions with CB to accomplish some of the things you want like Classifieds.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deemo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn