Custom/Advanced Search - The answers

14 years 10 months ago #99147 by n_tag
I am new to Joomla and Community builder, so far overall I am VERY impressed. However it appears CB has one MAJOR flaw

- "The lack of a CUSTOM SEARCH tool for users"
I WAS WRONG. THIS IS 100% POSSIBLE OUT OF THE BOX WITH CB
Before the CB team start;

- Yes, I've used this forums search (hrs spent looking now)I should have subscribed...
- Yes, I know all about the List Management tool (it does not do what I need)Err, yes it does

I want to save new CB users some time and summarise what I've found out through this forum. There IS 100% A WAY[/b] to let users perform a custom search of profiles, based on their own criteria.

All I want is for a user to select 4 criteria (Age, Sex, Location & Skills) from drop downs, or even check boxes - click "Search" and for the relevant matching profiles to be displayed.

Post edited by: n_tag, at: 2009/05/20 18:58

Post edited by: n_tag, at: 2009/05/20 20:39

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #99151 by nant
n_tag wrote:

I am new to Joomla and Community builder, so far overall I am VERY impressed. However it appears CB has one MAJOR flaw

- "The lack of a CUSTOM SEARCH tool for users"

Before the CB team start;

- Yes, I've used this forums search (hrs spent looking now)
- Yes, I know all about the List Management tool (it does not do what I need)

I want to save new CB users some time and summarise what I've found out through this forum. There is NO WAY (as of 18-May-2009) to let users perform a custom search of profiles, based on their own criteria. There is a commercial product which claims to be the answer but looking at the comments seems like a waste of $15.
( extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/community-builder-extensions/6934/details

All I want is for a user to select 4 criteria (Age, Sex, Location & Skills) from drop downs, or even check boxes - click "Search" and for the relevant matching profiles to be displayed.

I'm amazed that it isnt a built in feature or that someone hasn't written a decent commercial plugin!

FYI ...

Attachments:

14 years 10 months ago #99153 by n_tag
Replied by n_tag on topic Re:CB Custom/Advanced Search - My findings
Yep, that is what I'm after. The reply is really unhelpful though - how is this achieved?

14 years 10 months ago #99164 by nant
n_tag wrote:

Yep, that is what I'm after. The reply is really unhelpful though - how is this achieved?

Built into CB 1.2 stable.

Guess you need to search better the actual free software you have downloaded.

CB Fields can be marked as searchable.

CB Fields can be included in CB Lists.

CB Lists can be searched.

Results link back to user profiles.

If this is not enough to get you started then you should subscribe to the documentation - costs a little more than $15 but isn't CB worth a lot more?

You should be able to figure things out though without extra help. If you need more guidance just ask.

Post edited by: nant, at: 2009/05/19 07:59

14 years 10 months ago #99202 by bluebox
Replied by bluebox on topic Re:CB Custom/Advanced Search - My findings
Nick I'm pulling my hair out over here. How are you accomplishing this. This is exactly what I want for my users on my community site www.teenclassifieds.net.

But can't get it done. was there a module for this in the CB 1.2 download package? If so I did not see it. Please help

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn