GJ Message Members Error

11 years 8 months ago #205993 by drdehart
Replied by drdehart on topic Re: GJ Message Members Error
OK - we've increased the server time-out settings to the point that the process is allowed to complete, but there is still the timing problem. Even in PMS Only mode, it takes over 8 minutes to complete the process in a 150-person group. Does that sound normal?

The problem is that users don't realize they have to sit there and wait. Instead they click the "Save" button repeatedly and send multiple messages.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago #206026 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: GJ Message Members Error

Does that sound normal?

Normal is subjective to the server. Who's your host? What hosting package do you have? What is the servers hardware? Is it shared hosting? All of this can have an impact on how quickly your server can process emails.

150 emails sent all at once is a lot if on shared hosting. On a dedicated host the server should laugh at such an amount and would expect to choke in the thousands range. Shared hosting is often limited to like 10 emails a minute and if trying to send large amounts will choke the CPU.

Aside from that the notification process is very lightweight (very little code between GJ and CBs email functions).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #206037 by drdehart
It is a 2 cpu vps host with 4Gb of RAM, not shared. It costs about $150/mo if that is any indicator, not the $9.95 hostgator plan, and seems to be pretty fast under most circumstances..

As I said, it was in PMS Only mode, so does it have to send 150 emails to complete the request? I assumed that would be handled by the PM system (uddeIM).

But if anything over 5 seconds is "normal" for a 100+ group, then it seems like there should be a prominent visible indicator that the process is underway and the user should wait for it to complete.

11 years 8 months ago #206047 by krileon
Strange, your server seams more than capable of handling the load. Are you able to monitor system resources and see what exactly is spiking during the sending of large amounts of PMs or Emails? Does CB > User Management > Mass Mailer have same behavior?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 8 months ago #206791 by drdehart
Tested CB Mass Mail (we don't normally use it) and it took nearly 4 minutes to send 100 emails. It was almost bearable, though, because the attached screen with a progress bar was visible during the whole process.

I have a cPanel trace that documents the process that I can send to you privately. Let me know the best route at this point.
Attachments:

11 years 8 months ago #206808 by krileon
Seams like your server is just really slow sending emails. I suspect the mail server is separate from your server serving the site and it appears to be of lower quality maybe. You can test if it's just CBs library by using Joomlas mass mailer and see how fast it sends.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn