[SOLVED] Can't login front end - Incorrect username or password. Please try again.

1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #330302 by gravesie
Recently updated to 2.7.3 (and all CB plugins up to date) on J3 with PHP 7.4 and now nobody can login to the front end using either the CB login page or module.

Only get shown this message:

Error
Incorrect username or password. Please try again.

Usernames and password are correct for all accounts tested. Standard J3 user login works fine when the CB system plugin is off.

No errors in error log, no errors with error reporting or system debug on.

To list a few things that haven't worked:
  • Switched template to a J3 default and problem persists
  • No caching on the site, Gzip off
  • Switched off SEF URLs
  • Used default htaccess
  • Session config changed to file from database
  • Sequentially altered main CB and CB module config settings
  • Default CB template selected
  • Sequentially switched off all third party extensions (which are up to date)

Am open to ideas.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 8 months ago #330306 by krileon
Updated to 2.7.3 from what version? Nothing in the login behavior was changed recently. We don't validate passwords or login the user we let Joomla do that using Joomla's API. Are you using any 3rd party authentication plugins in Extensions > Plugins? Are you acting on any login triggers with CB Auto Actions? Will review the API again to make sure it hasn't changed, but logins are still functional in my tests thus far.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 8 months ago #330308 by krileon
Reviewed the login API and I see no changes in the behavior. My best guess is there's something wrong with the form submission. Please PM a URL to the page with the broken login module as well as test frontend login credentials (that are verified working) and will check.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 8 months ago #330311 by krileon
I was able to login fine after accepting cookies. Looks like your cookie consent plugin maybe causing this issue. You're also using Joomla's privacy consent instead of letting CB handle it and while that works it's recommended to let CB handle this via terms and conditions fields then enabling verify consent in CBs system plugin.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

1 year 8 months ago #330313 by gravesie
Appreciate the comment but it wasn't the cookie plugin, every third party extension was disabled while testing.

What got it working again was fully reinstalling CB core + plugins, and to answer a previous question when we upgraded it was 2.7.2 -> 2.73 but like you say if nothing in login behavior was changed then we have no idea why either.

The PM was a bit premature, this is a team account so one of us was "on it" while testing was going on, sorry for wasting your time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn