Password Recovery WITHOUT Username Step?

14 years 3 months ago #122016 by mmccormick
Password Recovery WITHOUT Username Step? was created by mmccormick
Apologies if I am missing the answer to this--searched high and low...using CB 1.2.1

Is it possible to setup CB so that when a user can recover/reset their password simply by entering their email address, WITHOUT knowing/entering their Username? I set the login to email address only but the Forgot Login? process still is Two-Step and asks you to recover Username then Password.

My membership population (an older group) is confounded by the two-step process. They are swamping the Member Office with calls because they can't do it. They got their notices from CBSubs telling them they are expired and are very frustrated that they can't login (I even created a tutorial, but they are not real techie people). If I could just let them put their email address in to get a password reset that would help. You must understand that converting Members unused to technology to online is hard enough, and this process MUST be made simple or we will lose people.

I found this thread, which seemed to indicate this is not currently possible but is forthcoming? www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,58/id,77237/#77237

Can someone confirm and/or advise of a short-term fix?

thanks, MM

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #122164 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Password Recovery WITHOUT Username Step?
Currently not implemented; would require editing of the core code, which is not supported and can not advise you on performing such modifications.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 2 months ago #123171 by mmccormick
Replied by mmccormick on topic Re:Password Recovery WITHOUT Username Step?
mmccormick wrote:

I found this thread, which seemed to indicate this is not currently possible but is forthcoming? www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,58/id,77237/#77237

Can someone confirm and/or advise of a short-term fix?

thanks, MM

In the thread I am referencing (in response to a similar request), Beat states: "These are a few of all the things that we will keep for CB 1.3 Beat (beat)"

So will there be a change forthcoming where CB will allow recovery of password with just email? The lack of this functionality is causing huge problems with converting people to becoming regular online users. These are not techie people and some are older, but they had been used to (and were using) an old login that required just email address and password to login. If I want them to start building an "online community," I have to get them OFF tech support and ONLINE. After 20 years in this business (web dev and Online Help systems), I can tell you that people will throw up their hands and give up if we don't make technology easy for them. [OK, soapbox is away now.]

IF a possibility for CB 1.3 then when would 1.3 be expected?

thx

14 years 2 months ago #123321 by krileon
It is a planned feature for a future release, but I can't say when 1.3 will release; sorry. Your points are strong and very true and you're still welcome to make modifications and suggest a feature implementation (could result in addition of feature sooner then 1.3?). CB is and remains to be Open Source. :P

I completely agree with needing to make it easier for the user. :)

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/02/01 16:22

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #178468 by krileon
For those whom maybe experiencing this issue it has been resolved with release of CB 1.7. As always feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated, please don't hesitate to let us know if any such issue further persists.

To resolve simply set login type to "Email" and it will only ask for their email address and not username.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn