[SOLVED] smtp on godaddy and cb register

14 years 1 month ago #123891 by SCLRWeb
remembered wrote:

Dear nant,
thank you for your reply. I've searched these forums and google all about. No settings seem to work and yes I have joomla 1.5.15, SEF urls turned off, newest version and all tools checks done for community builder. I am with godaddy and that seems to be an issue. Please direct me to the boards page that might have a solution
Jeremy

I'm on GoDaddy Shared Hosting and I'm betting you're not setting your PHP to PHP5... that will cause loads of issues...

I've also pushed completely away from GoDaddy Email and just signed up for Google Apps Standard - Free - Gives 25-50 Email accounts for free...

At any rate getting away from their problem email setup is a bonus and their shared servers support CB Fairly well... (except past week getting a lot of 500 Errors but oh well)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #123892 by remembered
Dear hmossessi,
I purchased an e-mail account with godaddy for sizeable space and SMTP relays... I`m about ready to cancel I`ve had so many problems with it. But I thought I was on php5 not just php... No matter because I`m not using shared hosting on godaddy... My actual web server hosting is at rochenhosting. Should I check? Will this matter?

CEO and Writer over at the New Release Wall.
We are an open-source Joomla built Movie Review Community website.
You can review your own movies, write about others,
join our forum, get your movies featured and tons more with free giveaways!

14 years 1 month ago #123893 by SCLRWeb
I would cancel it... and redirect your dns to use free google apps standard or pay for it cheaper than Their SMTP Package...

The server itself should be able to blast emails out without much work on the hosting side...

It will use its local smtp and send all day long... just leave default and put a from address...

I tried to get google apps working and sending via their smtp when I just gave up and let the server send directly instead of using smtp account.

Been working great... especially since I started using CB_Subs and have it working with expiration emails and other notices it blasts them out no problem...

But only dealing with less than 100 accounts though...

www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

Post edited by: hmossessi, at: 2010/02/09 02:18

14 years 1 month ago #123895 by remembered
I`m told that SMTP is problematic from a gmail hosting account. But are you saying you also could not establish SMTP using the google apps e-mail? Because PHP mailer is not a problem, I`ve gotten that working for everything sept my contacts component which I need help with but also all these bots sign up random accounts on my CB which I find unsecure which is why I want SMTP since I`m paying for it.. You get me? :woohoo:

14 years 1 month ago #123935 by SCLRWeb
I Installed a simple Captcha plugin @ registration and haven't had any spambots since..

it was just a simple cb_plugin for captcha at registration...

My Registrations also are tied to CB_Subs which means if they want to register their email has to be verified first then - pay before account even gets approved....

haven't had but possibly a few spam registrations and those are very few...

14 years 1 month ago #123940 by remembered
Thank you all for your help, I'm dropping the topic and completely giving up on this SMTP thing. Is it a more secure e-mail transfer? Does it really matter? Can't you send more e-mails using sendmail or php mailer for free because most places charge for SMTP? I want to abandon godaddy the only thing they seem to be doing right for me nowadays is inexpensive domain names.

I found 1 thread finally somewhere and already lost it that finally gave me working SMTP settings and I got smtp working but I had that error could not connect to SMTP on the contact us page and I haven't even written anything in the e-mail form but it said "thank you for your e-mail" confirmation right under the error!!! After typing in the e-mail form and sending the same info was posted at top of the page and the e-mail worked !!! Weird? I got the e-mail and "send a copy of e-mail" worked too but I can't work with a fake error message at the top of page all the time... Whatever, no matter.

I am working with PHP mailer settings that work with CB registration, contact us page etc now I THINK/ I HOPE. I want to do like you and find either a captcha plugin or a security plugin for joomla or CB specifically. Thanks for your honest help.
Jeremy

edit: (found it) this seems to be the only information regarding a godaddy account for smtp setup that has worked... Should work for most
www.dart-creations.com/joomla/joomla-tutorials/mailer-setup-with-godaddy-hosting.html

Post edited by: remembered, at: 2010/02/09 19:13

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn