Team > Projects [Needed Feature]

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #181523 by yamahaalex37
Team > Projects [Needed Feature] was created by yamahaalex37
First of all, thank you Krileon and CB staff for great software at reasonable prices.

I am no expert at PHP, but I am good enough to make basic modifications, like changing or moving buttons. I do not care if my goal is achieved with a sloppy hack job, and I would really appreciate ANY general advice as to what direction I should take.

Goal:
Create a group of members that can create a group of members.

Constraints:
Must not use nested groups OR must re-name nested group so that instead of [+New Team > +New Team], we see [+New Team > +New Project].

Attempts:
  • Make Categories = Teams and Groups = Projects.
Aesthetically, this works. The only problem is that Categories(aka Teams) can not add members. If adding the Invite feature to Categories is very complicated, maybe there is a way to make members of a group appear on the group's category page, and make the user's profile display the category of the groups they belong to in My Categories.
  • Category > Group > Projects
My only idea on where to start with this would be to copy every php file that contains the word group and replace it with the word project, and then modify more php files to incorporate the new project php files...

If you have any ideas , sloppy or not, on how to make something like this possible, please share any general advice.

If you could also use a feature like this, please leave a reply, so that with enough replies maybe someday it will be implemented.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #181617 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Team > Projects [Needed Feature]
Category owners or Group owners can't force users into groups. I've no plans to implement such a feature. You can force users into groups from backend, but is purely for management purposes.

Categories can only have a single owner and users don't join a category as they join groups. Groups can have admins, moderators, and a single owner however. Admins/Moderators are able to approve join requests if approval is required.

I would say use categories as categories of projects (Games, Open Source, etc..) then use Groups as projects and have their type as Approval so join requests must be approved by the group owner, group moderators, or group admins. You can force all groups to Approval type from backend by setting the default and hiding the type parameter (requires GJ 2.4).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn