Starting a discussion

11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #223902 by spletcher
Starting a discussion was created by spletcher
I know this may seem like a crazy question, however, I have installed GroupJive and read through the manual. Everything is great and it is easy to start categories or groups. (functionality is much improved from a couple years ago when I saw it first!!)

However, I don't see how you start an actual discussion as an owner or user or moderator. There are no tabs or menu links to actually begin the group discussion.

Am I missing something obvious? I saw that there is an integration for Kunena Forum. Is this the only way to get the discussion going or can you do it simply from the installation of the GroupJive Plugin.

thanks for any help,

Stan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 3 weeks ago #223948 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Starting a discussion
If you want actual forums you need Kunena install and the Forum integration configured for it. Otherwise the alternative is ensure you've installed GJs Wall integration and enabled it within CB > Plugin Management and it should work fine from then forward (you should see a Wall tab when viewing a group).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #223985 by spletcher
Replied by spletcher on topic Starting a discussion
Kyle,

I thought that I had seen a couple years back that you could simply install Group Jive and then within a group (if you were a member), you could begin a discussion that all of the group members could see. I reinstalled the latest last night and couldn't see anyway to actually begin a discussion within a group.

Perhaps you could comment on what is the most usual way that folks run their "groupjive" installs. I'm fine with installing Kunena - but I thought that GroupJive was a different alternative than Kunena and am not quite sure I understand the advantage of having both installed.

On another note, I have been plagued on some other sites with so many spammers on Kunena that I was actually trying to avoid installing it yet have this need for user interaction and discussion.

If I were to install the wall integration, is this functioning as the way for each group to communicate with each other? How does a group member know when something is posted? Do they get an email reminder that something was posted to the wall?

Thanks,

Stan

11 years 3 weeks ago #224023 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Starting a discussion
You've 2 options. The Wall integration or the Forum integration. Both need to be installed and both are provided in the GJ package. The wall integration is an "install, enable, done" situation, but the Forum integration requires Kunena and requires some configuration. It's entirely up to you which you use. You can even use both if you like.

If I were to install the wall integration, is this functioning as the way for each group to communicate with each other?

The wall integration allows users of a group to communicate with one another, yes. There is no Group to Group communication.

How does a group member know when something is posted?

GJ has notifications built in. When viewing a group click "Notifications" on the menu and you can enable for you to be notified everytime there's a wall post if you like.

Do they get an email reminder that something was posted to the wall?

Optionally yes and it can be Email, PM, or both.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn