Groupjive vs SuperGroups

14 years 7 months ago #109851 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Folks, you seam to miss the boat on this. The current GroupJive is a STABLE project. This means the ONLY goal is to stabilize it. Forum integration was added, because it was in such high demand that GJ was useless without it.

I am re-writting groupjive, but it takes time. A lot of the features you're asking will probably go in. We use integrations to give people choices on what they want their site to function like. GroupJive is meant to provide groups, it's not a forum. So why waste weeks of development on making custom forums for GroupJive. Instead we can take a few days to integrate an existing full featured forum. Some features will be part of GroupJive, but most will be integrations with an easy to use API. So feature list is limitless.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #109926 by hjames
Replied by hjames on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
All of that is understood clearly.

My point is that Kunena has no purpose in Groupjive. Although some people may want to integrate with it its really seeming as though its a hassel.

For instance... we create a groupjive forum and unpublish it. People post in the Groups Kunena Topic, etc... the post's are displayed in Kunena and should not be.

Also, it seems as though the discussions *rather than forums* should be a CORE of groupjive. Not an integration.

As you asked about why rewrite it... there is no point as there are other scripts which would integrate well into Groupjive and probably much easier than Kunena.

These are my personal observations and thoughts... not really a debate.

James

14 years 7 months ago #110110 by krileon
Then you'll be able to use those scripts as you see fit, as explained there are triggers in the same way triggers are used in CB. You'll be able to add all the integrations you want. Use any type of forum or integration your own forum. All done through CB plugins and capable of using CB API.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #110618 by okstated
Replied by okstated on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Hjames is right. It really shouldn't be an integration. The point of groups is to have discussion, BUT having to rely so heavily on so many external integrations that can constantly change makes GroupJive less stable and more dependant on those external factors. Plus I would imagine such integrations would make development more difficult for the developers since you have to sort out all the conflicts that arise between the programs as they change.

All that is really needed is a simple post script similar to the bulletin/announcement function that already exists, but slightly more robust (ie - by category and by user).

14 years 7 months ago #110650 by krileon
okstated wrote:

Hjames is right. It really shouldn't be an integration. The point of groups is to have discussion, BUT having to rely so heavily on so many external integrations that can constantly change makes GroupJive less stable and more dependant on those external factors. Plus I would imagine such integrations would make development more difficult for the developers since you have to sort out all the conflicts that arise between the programs as they change.

All that is really needed is a simple post script similar to the bulletin/announcement function that already exists, but slightly more robust (ie - by category and by user).

Again, this is doable as there are triggers allowing you to create any kind of integration plugin you want. It does not have to integration an extension. You can develop an inline displayed plugin if you see fit, such as forums specifically and only for groupjive, etc... Possibilities are limitless. All done by simple triggers.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

14 years 7 months ago #110721 by mariealline
Replied by mariealline on topic Re:Groupjive vs SuperGroups
Just my two cents worth... I've been playing with group jive for several days now, installing it, trying out the old plug-ins (which by the way don't work. I get errors) reading all of the support questions, answers, complaints and comments and so far I really like the direction in which group jive is going. You are doing a nice job updating it. I like the group forums idea. I would like to see more plug-ins for it tho. I would like to see integrated groups mail, (similar to Yahoo groups), integrated group calendars with reminders and of course, group uploads as has already been mentioned. I know... it's a lot to ask but these features would be awesome!

Marie Alline
mariealline.com

Thank you,
Marie Alline
mariealline.com
footprints-online.com

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn