License Server

14 years 5 months ago #112880 by downunder
License Server was created by downunder
This server has been up and down a number of times today and when it goes down, so does my ability to server subscriptions to my clients.

I need this fixed properly.

All I get is this... not very helpful.

On site XXXXXX (www.XXXXXX.org.au/cms) there is a paid subscriptions license message:

License server could not be reached. Please check that you have Internet connection (connectivity, firewall settings) or try again in half hour. Error:

Please log into administrator area and check the plugin settings.

NOTE: This email was automatically generated from XXXXXX (www.XXXXXX.org.au/cms).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #112888 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:License Server
We are aware of the issue, trying to keep downtimes as short as possible, as we are doing a migration, so we are working on it.

However, you just get warning emails, cbsubs should continue to work normally for your members.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 5 months ago #112889 by downunder
Replied by downunder on topic Re:License Server
No actually it doesn't. Community builder functions normally but whenever a person tries to register in the front-end, or the user in the user management section is clicked in the back-end the system stops while the license server is down.
Eventually they get an error.

Is there any way of gracefully opting to not require the server for a specific time if it can't be found?

If you must persist with the phone home license the server must not have down-times. Currently I am getting emails from disgruntled users who can't renew their membership. I am running out of excuses at the same rate as their patience is running out.

14 years 5 months ago #112890 by beat
That's a different story. Simply shouldn't happen, as there is built-in grace delays for a given server install. Btw, it's not call-home, it's floating license management, as most sites move server in their lifetimes.

I've PMed you to investigate the case off-forums right now. To read your PM just click the link in your login module here.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 5 months ago #112892 by downunder
Replied by downunder on topic Re:License Server
I must be missing something here. How does the emails from users fix the issue. They complain and I investigate their complaint, and I have verified that indeed (while the license server was down) they could not register. I then went to the back-end to try and manually set their subscription, and when I clicked on the user link the system was unresponsive and received a "No suitable nodes are available to serve your request" error due to the load balancer timing out (30-60 seconds - Rackspace Cloud Site). When the joomlapolis site came back up it again worked.

How can I test that the grace delays are working?
Btw floating license management will still "phone home." What you should have in place is a three server model, not a single one.

14 years 5 months ago #112896 by beat
No, I asked for the email that you get from CBSubs install, not for the users emails ;)

I investigated your problem looking through our logs: problem is that your server has 2 IP addresses, re-initiating license-verification way to often, which is not taking in account the grace delays.

Please check that IP addresses issue, as license is bound to the server IP address and change of IP triggers a license-check.

I'm PMing you the 2 IP server addresses used.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn