[SOLVED] Communication Error with Paypal Sandbox IPN

13 years 6 months ago #143189 by krileon
We've had no other reports of such communication issues with Paypal from our testers or other existing users.

There appears to be reports of recent (September) on their boards concerning Paypal returning 500 errors. I believe this is an issue with Paypal it self as the entire sandbox (regardless of CBSubs) has 500 errored on me several times.

We will need to investigate this further, sorry for the inconvenience. In the mean time please review the following announcements from Paypal as they have confirmed issues are present, but apparently resolved as of today (perhaps retesting is in order?).

www.x.com/community/ppx/testing/sb/blog/2010/09/30/resolved-intermittent-http-500-internal-server-errors--sep-30

www.x.com/community/ppx/testing/platformsb/blog/2010/09/30/resolved-platform-apis-are-failing-intermittently-with-http-500-error-in-sandbox--sep-30

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/09/30 21:26

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #143231 by ecoweb
I retested but the problem is still the same. I am stuck to think of anything else I can do except wait for something to change on Paypal system or spend days trawling to find someting on the forums (which I've already done)! Without access to CB Subs code I can't debug step by step what is happening or change the information being sent to Paypal.

If you can investigate further I would be grateful. If your testers wanted to recreate the problem I could backup the sri-connect test site you used (I use Akeeba Backup) and send the whole site to you. Or I'm happy for you or your testers to access our site and perhaps try using one of Joomlapolis's Paypal Sandbox testing accounts as a payment gateway to see if that works ( if it did that would at least isolate the problem to something set-up on the Paypal accounts I created).

For the moment I have devised a workaround by changing the error message that is shown by CB Subs on return from Paypal. This now says the payment was completed and the subscription will be applied shortly - my client will then in CB Subs back end tick that subscription in the users record and delete the basket (to stop an invoice appearing each time). Not ideal but it works (except no record in back end of payment and the end user may have to wait a day or so to get access to extra functionality). As the actual payment is processed by Paypal ok then my client thinks it is workable for the short term.

For the longer term could you please respond to my later points in my last post about whether Joomlapolis could develop a bespoke payment gateway for a UK merchant service provider and what I would need to do to get this done?

I know other posts mention an API for custom payment gateways is in development - is this due for release in the near future?

13 years 6 months ago #143804 by krileon
Not sure what the issue is, we can't duplicate in any of our test environments. There's a communication problem between your server and paypal somewhere and can only assuming it's host related. You may want to try changing hosts if is an option.

For the longer term could you please respond to my later points in my last post about whether Joomlapolis could develop a bespoke payment gateway for a UK merchant service provider and what I would need to do to get this done?

We've no plans to implemented bespoke. I did not add it to our list of requested gateways because I could not find a link to their official site. Search results turned up numerous results and could not be sure. The API to release in a later CBSubs release will allow adding such a gateway.

I know other posts mention an API for custom payment gateways is in development - is this due for release in the near future?

Yes, but can't provide a release date; sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 6 months ago #144179 by ecoweb
The point at which the process is failing as far as I can see is after CB Subs has received the IPN/PDT Notification, when it is trying to send back a response in order to then get a verified confirmation from paypal.

As I don't have the code for CB Subs I thought I'd try a non-commercial extension which supported paypal sandbox and IPN processing which I could then step through the code to find the point at which I could not send a response back to paypal. I chose Maian Media a music store application.

Unfortunately this works perfectly with paypal sandbox, receiving IPN and sending the response and then receiving the verified confirmation from paypal.

Now I know this is different code but it shows that intrinsically there is nothing wrong with how my hosting is set-up that would in itself create problems in Paypal IPN. Changing host is not an option anyway as we are entirely happy with our hosting company.

As we have paid for CB Subs I would like this to be escalated so that someone with detailed knowledge of the actual code in the paypal processing module (cbpaidsubscriptions.paypal.php) can provide details of what would cause the Communication Error. The message must be generated at one or more specific points in the code. Details of what those points are may help to identify what in my set-up is causing the error (is it cURL, openssl, some specific parameter?). If this support is not available I would request that you provide me with a decoded cbpaidsubscriptions.paypal.php file (and any ones linked to from this) so that I can debug this problem e.g. by setting trace on cURL.

13 years 5 months ago #144417 by beat
Hi ecoweb,

If I understand right, reading through this thread:

Paypal's IPN come in correctly to your site, but the check that CBSubs does do not get out to Paypal.

Most free Paypal systems do not check for IPNs received and are thus prone to tampering (paypal is safe, no worries, just the vendor's site is less safe without double-check, that's why CBSubs implements that).

I couldn't check your sandbox install as the access information provided to Kyle is no longer valid anymore.

But my firsthand guess is that your hoster has an outgoing http/https connections firewall from your host that doesn't allow CBSubs reaching Paypal's servers for the IPN check, and thus the IPN check fails.

I might be wrong, but can you please check this with your hoster first and ask him to open http/https requests outgoing ?

You can safely Private-Message me access to the CBSubs installation or exact detailed raw information of your IPN Notification entry in the backend. CBSubs logs detailed each curl request into the Notifications already, so you just need to look at the details in there to see what's been received, sent and received back.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 4 months ago #147513 by ecoweb
Well after much investigation and then a bit of luck the problem with CB Subs not handling Paypal PDTs/IPNs has been solved, although I can't give an exact cause for the problem!

As part of some other work I had asked my hosting company to rebuild Apache on my VPS server. After the rebuild the site wouldn't come up at all. Eventually the hosting company identified that some of the RPM's used in the rebuild, and some in the previous build, were corrupted. After refreshing the RPMs database and rebuilding Apache my site was back on line and miraculously CB Subs and Paypal were now working (it also solved a problem I reported on the forum about not being able to set up encryption on a Paypal CB subs Payment Gateway).

So as we thought it was something at my server that was not working with CB Subs. Unfortunately because the hosting company didn't identify individual RPMs and their corruption I am no wiser as to what exactly didn't work.

Hopefully enhancements in CB SUbs 1.1 and later releases will improve the error reporting. With encrypted software, as with compiled software, it is vital that error messages and/or error logs provide sufficent information to actually diagnose problems rather than employ guess work and just trying turning things on or off.

Thank you for your support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anubis_fr

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn